PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm Exit

Doug
01-26-2007, 05:27 PM
So an I to assume thats it for "exit" in Canada. Seems none available anymore and any thats around fetches the same price as gold. :lol:

I asked Salifert on RC but no answer yet. Now I cant treat any new coral arrivals or those that are in tanks with flatworms.

christyf5
01-26-2007, 06:00 PM
I had heard the same thing, yet when I started asking it seemed everyone in the lower mainland carried it. I know Ocean Aquatics has some, thats where I got mine. :biggrin:

adidas
01-26-2007, 06:42 PM
yup ocean aquatics..i just ordered some

Doug
01-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks guys. I ordered several today.

untamed
01-27-2007, 12:04 AM
It does sound this this product isn't going to be available forever. What then?

Personally...I have red flatworms, but refuse to use that product out of fear for other critters. Don't take any frags from me!

I would love to find one of those flat worm eating nudibranchs...

Doug
01-27-2007, 12:16 AM
I have heard a new product is coming from another company but not sure who or what it is. I need it mostly for treating new stuff, as I dont have any worms at the moment. Some is for some that do.

I dont believe the exit ever harmed anything in my 225 when I treated but thats another story. However I dont wish to ever go through that again.

adidas
01-27-2007, 06:26 PM
could always do fresh water dips of every rock...but that doesnt kill just the flatworms.

adidas
01-27-2007, 06:28 PM
It does sound this this product isn't going to be available forever. What then?

Personally...I have red flatworms, but refuse to use that product out of fear for other critters. Don't take any frags from me!

when i get flatworm exit, i think im going to treat every rock seperately in a bucket instead of treating the whole tank at once...and theen ill takeout fish/inverts before treating the tank.

Kabong
01-27-2007, 06:55 PM
When I've treated with FWE, Ive noticed the major effects on other critters other then flatworms are
Fan worms who will hide out for up to days afterward, Doesn't appear fatal though.
and
Mini brittle's hate the stuff they go crazy, Coming out of the rocks and trying to get away. Does not appear to be fatal though, But there a little harder to keep track off. So some loses are possible.

However I don't think I would treat without removing any prized echinoderm's. (starfish, urchin, cucumbers)

other then that Ive treated regular dose and double dose with no visible deaths.

I had a 10 gal that was invested with them and rock that was also covered in apstasia dosed and left it in with no water change in it.
In the end no flatworms, no feather dusters, and no brittle stars to be seen.
So in other words long term exposure is deadly.

untamed
01-28-2007, 04:46 AM
My tank is just different...Waaaayyy too much misc. life to risk losing with some sort of toxin.

If anyone else wants a non-toxic approach to control (not elimination), I've discovered that these little beasties can be nicely siphoned using small piece of rigid airline tubing connected to flexible airline tubing.

The airline tubing is so small that you can spend some quality time siphoning up the little buggers without removing a ton of water at the same time. The rigid end give you something you can aim with precision and makes it easy to hold (like a pencil).

Once you have a bucket full of water and flatworms, you can just put most all the water back in leaving the worms in the bottom of the bucket.

In only two sessions, I've reduced the population from 'carpet', to 'hard to find'. I know that I'll have to do this periodically for ever....

Doug
01-28-2007, 02:05 PM
could always do fresh water dips of every rock...but that doesnt kill just the flatworms.

Not much good on corals though. Thats what I mainly use it for, now.

Doug
01-28-2007, 02:08 PM
My tank is just different...Waaaayyy too much misc. life to risk losing with some sort of toxin.

If anyone else wants a non-toxic approach to control (not elimination), I've discovered that these little beasties can be nicely siphoned using small piece of rigid airline tubing connected to flexible airline tubing.

The airline tubing is so small that you can spend some quality time siphoning up the little buggers without removing a ton of water at the same time. The rigid end give you something you can aim with precision and makes it easy to hold (like a pencil).

Once you have a bucket full of water and flatworms, you can just put most all the water back in leaving the worms in the bottom of the bucket.

In only two sessions, I've reduced the population from 'carpet', to 'hard to find'. I know that I'll have to do this periodically for ever....

Thats an interesting approach, although would have not worked well for me in my 225g, with rear access only & 30in. deep. I do know many that keep at them in a similar fashion to you and along with great skimming and current, keep them under control. Esp. if they are lucky enough to have a fish that eats them, which helps.

Skimmerking
01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Yup I remember mine out break in my 120 they were everywhere. for days i would suck out and suck out and they would come back. I have noticed that some were in my friends tank where i was going to get some corals.

But all i do is bring the FWE with me pick up the corals and before closing the bag i pop 1-2 drops in the bad and when i get home i just acclimatize like I always do and throw out the water.

But Knock on wood