PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Heaters - A+

kwirky
01-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I've got two, and I have to say they're the best heater's I've ever owned (between my old FW days and my current SW days). They have aluminum heat exchangers so they can't break, and they're plastic coated, so they don't get the oxidization grunge titanium heaters get. They're fully submersible, and their temperature setting is very accurate.

I have a 250W model and a 150W model, and they both get an A+. Probably the ONLY things in any of my aquariums that work exactly as they're supposed to ;)

Raf
01-28-2007, 05:50 PM
you said EXACTLY what I was thinking, i purchased two as well with the same results A+.

I am even thinking of switching over the Ebos to them.... :)

Chaotic Cricket
01-28-2007, 06:22 PM
I agree I use them as well and they are quite nice. Very accurate and long lasting.

Tom R
01-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Who selles them and how much?

skylord
01-29-2007, 12:20 AM
What Tom R said..where and how much? I had one come apart the other day while I was working in the sump and about knocked my socks off...I wasnt impressed. It was a Visitherm which I tried after a Ebo stuck open and got my tank to 97 F before I got home. I really would like to find a bullet proof heater that doesnt need a $1500 controller.

Scott

fkshiu
01-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Stealths ARE Visitherms (pretty much)! They're made by the same company.

There's no such thing as a bulletproof heater on its own. Ebos used to be as close as you could get but they've gone downhill since Eheim bought them out.

The only way to be 100% sure is with an outside controller. Short of that you can use multiple small heaters rather than one big one so if and when one sticks on, you'll have time to notice before it fries the whole tank.

Veng68
01-29-2007, 12:42 AM
I've had my visitherms for about 15 years (probably 10 years running time on them) and they have not failed.

Cheers,
Aquaman

andresont
01-29-2007, 12:50 AM
I've had my visitherms for about 15 years (probably 10 years running time on them) and they have not failed.

Cheers,
Aquaman

Old staff is keep working, i second that.
I have 200W Ebo J. for 9 years now, and i got it used.
Got smallest black cowered plastic one recently for my 6 Gal nano keeps it very acurate at the set Temp. Will se how good they are.

fkshiu
01-29-2007, 01:11 AM
My point is that aquarium heaters are mechanical devices which are subject to failure over time no matter how well built.

A controller gives you an added layer of protection. The temperature controls in such controllers are generally of higher quality than those found in a $25 heater.

Often with thousands of dollars invested in reef tanks the most galling thing would be for a preventable disaster to happen as a result of $25 piece of equipment.

If most other pieces of equipment fail in your system it's usually no more than an inconvenience. Heaters are the one piece of equipment that can kill within a few hours of failure.

Doug
01-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Interesting. I was going to ask what brand they were also. I may check them out. FWIW, Ranco controllers are not that expensive.

christyf5
01-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Where does one get a ranco controller? I was under the impression that they were pretty hard to find :neutral:

Raf
01-29-2007, 04:47 PM
http://www.automatedaquariums.com/ranco.htm