PDA

View Full Version : sick puffer

Edmonton Eskimo
01-25-2007, 03:28 AM
If this is the wrong forum sorry, I'm just in a bit of a panic. My dogface is currently in q undergoing hypo(thought he had ick) I don't think it's ick as he is panting badly and has cloudy eyes and red blotches all over him. I did a 50% water change yesterday but it didn't help. Please any advice appreciated.

Skimmer Juice
01-25-2007, 05:17 AM
I would use cuprimine before hypo.

Edmonton Eskimo
01-25-2007, 01:57 PM
why would you do that? Puffers don't take well to copper.

Raf
01-25-2007, 06:44 PM
i have treated puffers with copper many times with no visible ill effects BUT it sounds to me more like a bacterial infection than an external parasitic type infection like ich. Pics would help but it sounds like you need to use antibiotics on him.

castaway
01-25-2007, 07:59 PM
A very good treatment is 37% grade formaldhyde at one drop per gallon once a day for 5 days.
This was the best treatment I used when I had my shop. One of my Florida suppliers put me on to it.
You can get a big bottle at any drug store just ask the pharmasist for 37% grade formaldhyde.
Be carefull with the stuff.
I've used it for parasitic,fungal and bacterial infections works great.

bulletsworld
01-26-2007, 05:55 AM
Puffers don't tolerate copper. A dogface however can be treated with Cupramine ONLY, but only on HALF the dose and ONLY when it''s not already really ill.

If they panting already, cloudy eyes and blotches then copper or formaldhyde (nasty stuff) would only kill him. First you got to know what your dealing with. Why did you think it was a (ich) parasite infection? How long has he been in this state? The cloudy eyes could be the sign the puffer mucus is trying to protect him which makes him hard to treat, but would also explain his panting, making it hard for him to breathe.

I have many natural options available for recovery, depending on the Dogface's stage.

PM me if your interested, i would be glad to help. I hate to see another puffy lost.

Lee

castaway
01-26-2007, 02:30 PM
No I have to disagree
It sounds like this puffer is in and advanced stage of sickness formaldhyde will not kill him. In an advanced stage the disease will kill him first.
Formaldhyde or Formalyn unlike copper doesn't linger in the water it is the main ingredient in Quick Cure made by Aquarium Products.
I've used it on fish that are very near death.
I've been in this hobby for a very long time and have tried most if not all medications out there. I've spent money and been sent samples of all kinds of "miracle"and "natural" cures only to have lost the fish and money spent on the product.
If you can find a product called "Dip Away" by aquatronics it is a very good product to dip the fish but it is very harsh and most stores don't carry it.

Edmonton Eskimo
01-27-2007, 02:06 AM
I am sad to say that he has died. It was a fairly quick demise so I wonder if it was velvet. Thanks for your help everyone.