PDA

View Full Version : protein skimmer

farmerjo90
08-22-2001, 08:00 PM
Hey can you guys who know a lot about protein skimmers check out this website because these skimmers have been highly recommended. www.myreefcreations.com (http://www.myreefcreations.com) Do they look like a good investment?

Shadetree
08-22-2001, 08:41 PM
You can find Myreef if you do a search on almost any/every board. I think the results will all be positive. It is an exact knockoff of the Presicion Marine Bullet series of skimmers. For the money savings I think they may be worth a look at. This is in my opinion as I do not know of anybody personally that has though. As for the bullet skimmer they are considered to be one of the best skimmers on the market using large water pumps.

Scott

reefburnaby
08-23-2001, 12:49 AM
Hello farmerjo90,

Myreef is a good skimmer, but if you have any plans to keep sps...you might want a bigger skimmer than myreef offers.

Have you considered getting a calcium reactor ? It is important for a big tank like yours because additives are expensive for big tanks. Myreef offers a CO2 regulator+pump special package that will save you money if you get the myreef skimmer.

While we are on the subject of buying stuff...don't buy rio pumps. Nothing but trouble. Stick with mags, ehiem -- even hagen is better. Of course they are 2x the price, but they last 3 to 4 times longer. Eheim -- practically indestructable.

Have fun shopping...

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

Troy F
08-23-2001, 08:02 AM
I think myreef will make the skimmer to any size you want.

farmerjo90
08-23-2001, 03:48 PM
I thought I had my mind made up for a bullet three until I read somewhere that the it is rated too high. Supposedly it only skims a 150 gallon efficiently. There's so many opinions out there,who knows which is the right one for my tank. images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

titus
08-23-2001, 05:03 PM
Hello,

The Bullet-3 is the Bullet-2 with only a larger and taller riser column to allow systems with a lot of waste to be pushed through easier.

Now having actually designed Beckett based protein skimmers, and actually have used the PM Bullet 2, I'll say if I have money I'll go with Aerofoamers.

Case in point:
1) my bullet, well got stuck again because of salt built up inside the tiny chessy plastic PVC pipe;
2) it is noisy and hard to clean compared to the Aerofoamer;
3) it's point of injection is not as great as the Aerofoamer;
4) the amount of bubbles it returns is just plain rediculous. I wish I have another of my CS-2 to show you just how virutally no bubbles are returned!

Titus

farmerjo90
08-23-2001, 07:07 PM
Ok, now I'm even more confused. What is an aerofoamer? Tell me exactly what you would buy if your were skimming a 180 gallon tank. THis is driving me CRAZY....

Doug
08-23-2001, 07:20 PM
Four year old Euroreef in action.

http://dlowey.homestead.com/files/DCP00564.jpg

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: Doug ]

Dale D
08-23-2001, 07:52 PM
Hi Farmerjo90

The right skimmer design and size for your tank is going to have alot to do with what you want to keep in your tank and how you want to run it.

If you are going to keep mostly SPS, have a heavy fish load or are going to be feeding your fish and corals alot, then you will want a skimmer that can more than handle the size of your system.

Less demanding corals (LPS and soft ect.)will not need a skimmer that is as big or as effective.

Some people choice air driven skimmers over venturi or beckett skimmers because they are more plankton friendly (they may be keeping alot of filter feeders or Anthias) and some are more effective.

Some people don't even use skimmers.

I myself have a 250 gallon reef system skimmed with a Red Sea Berlin Classic run by a Rio images/smiles/icon_eek.gif 2500.

I maintain a 175g reef for a local business and it doesn't even have a skimmer on it ( come to think of it, it doesn't even have a filter on it, except the live rock).

It's like everything else in this hobby. Why buy something you don't need for what you want to keep.

I talked some customers out of buying MH lighting from me the other day because they only want to keep mushrooms and soft corals. I told them PC's are cheaper and more than enough for what they want in their tank.

Like I said before ultimately your choice in equipment should depend on what you want to keep. You will save yourself alot of money in the long run by buying the correct equipment the first time.

Having said all that. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif If I was in the market for a large powerful skimmer,(and wasn't too worried about price) I think I would go with one of the Areofoamers as well.

I was looking into getting a new skimmer a few months ago and had decided on the areofoamer, until I saw one called a Canreef skimmer (great design and great price) unfortunately they stopped making them. images/smiles/icon_sad.gif images/smiles/icon_wink.gif So I spent the money on my car instead images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

In the future I am thinking of going wild and maybe upgrading to a Red Sea Berlin XL maybe even a Turbo. images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

HTH Dale

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: Dale D ]

farmerjo90
08-23-2001, 08:02 PM
thanks for clarifying that an aerofoamer is a type of skimmer. I looked up the web site and found that there are two series the 600 and 800 series. The writeup says that the skimmers in both categories are good for a humungous gallonage ranges. Which one?? Yes, I want to keep pretty much a little of everything in my tank. I will be feeding a lot and will need a large skimmer,,,but the $64,000 question is which one!