PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for POTM topics

muck
01-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Seeing as the latest POTM topic didn't get many responses, I would like to ask everyone for topic ideas that they think would generate a fair amount of entries.
Please try to come up with a topic that everyone (or at least the vast majority) could submit a photo for. Thx.

Aquattro
01-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Most characteristic fish photo. Fishies smilies, hangin' out, stuff like that

Der_Iron_Chef
01-24-2007, 03:24 PM
"Motion" or "Movement"

Something more abstract for the artsy types!

Chaotic Cricket
01-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Ugliest Sump Tank

OCDP
01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Anemones or Zoanthids ?

Murminator
01-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Most overgrown, most coraline

species only like clown pics, or yellow tangs...etc

ugliest fish, cutest pic

color specific blue, red, green, of any species coral or fish

niloc16
01-24-2007, 05:36 PM
to be honest with you muck i dont remember even seeing the thread for the latest POTM until it was time to vote. what about full tank shots, best friends, fish room, sumps.

danny zubot
01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I like ugliest sump!:lol: How about nastiest wiring or getto reef pics? Or pictures of our electricity bills?:mrgreen:

Der_Iron_Chef
01-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Whatever it is, I think it should be something that everyone can participate in. Perhaps the limited participation in last month's contest was because a good number of us don't have SPS to photograph.

niloc16
01-24-2007, 06:43 PM
although limited edition sps are not common i still love to see peoples pictures of them. if the competition becomes too common of a subject then the entries will be enormous, just my 2 cents

Jason McK
01-24-2007, 07:09 PM
How about just a 'bump' to the thread requesting pic. this last one I totally missed :)

J

Chaotic Cricket
01-24-2007, 07:10 PM
although limited edition sps are not common i still love to see peoples pictures of them. if the competition becomes too common of a subject then the entries will be enormous, just my 2 cents

Then more people would feel less marginalized :)

marie
01-24-2007, 08:58 PM
How about just a 'bump' to the thread requesting pic. this last one I totally missed :)

J
I second that, I missed it too :redface: . Then again i was too busy wondering where my pic for Dec potm went :razz:

christyf5
01-24-2007, 10:02 PM
It was a sticky at the top of the pictures forum. Do you guys need occasional bumps to get it into the "new posts" list of threads?

Just checking cause we can do that if need be. :biggrin:

Ruth
01-24-2007, 10:16 PM
I don't know how easy this would be but.............is it possible to track the pictures that are posted in various threads on the board in a given month? A lot of people will not "enter" their picture in a contest for various reasons but probably mostly because they don't think it is very good.
I just thought that if there was a way to track the photos that do get posted and then have them all "collected" somehow for voting on by membership it might be a way to see more people's photos get recognition????
Heck I don't know.:redface:

christyf5
01-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Too much work IMO. I barely have enough time to make random useless posts :razz: and collect pics for the TOTM that happens every TWO months.

Good idea though. :biggrin: I think for now it will be via submission only. We're working on a better notification method though. Oh you'll be alerted alright :razz:

danny zubot
01-24-2007, 10:48 PM
It is a lot of work, I agree. But if the Mods in charge see a random pic that qualifies they could add it to the selections. Or just Pm the person to make them add it.

Next month, I will submit a pic no matter what the theme is. Perhaps a lot of people were just to busy over the holiday's to participate.

Diana
01-25-2007, 12:07 AM
I personally felt too intimidated to enter the "most colorful sps" one because I feel there are so many beautiful sps colonies out there that put my measly monitpora to shame. So I thought I might be "laughed at" to even attempt to enter such a blah coral into a "most colorful coral" contest.

I know its just me being weird, but I was put off a little by the category mainly cus I dont have a sps tank. So yeah I do think a lot of people were 'left out' of this month's contest, and not that its a bad thing- not everyone will always be able to enter, but there are many who do not have sps.

Also, I just wanted to clarify for myself, what is being judged really in a photo? Is it the subject or the quality of the photo? Cus I know many photo contests that are of the most ordinary of things but its the photo quality itself that counts. In this contest it seems its more about content.... and not so much the sharpness or contrast of a photo.

Just wondering.
;)
-Diana

Der_Iron_Chef
01-25-2007, 02:19 AM

Well, perhaps a massive amount of entries will just jack up the competiton :smile: If the POTM contest never includes "too common..a subject", people who are new to the hobby will rarely get a chance to participate.

Just my opinions, though. Carry on...

Edit: Perhaps it would also be helpful if you guys could post a list of previous POTM contests, so we can try something new.

Manny
01-25-2007, 03:04 AM
I missed it as well, it might be because I only look at the newest post thingy on the home page. I never really look at the actual forums.

Manny
01-25-2007, 03:16 AM
how about "Feeding time".

MoeReefer
01-25-2007, 05:49 AM
how about pics with other pets and the fish tanks, like cats, dogs, birds, etc interacting with the fishies.

BMW Rider
01-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Perhaps instead of doing it monthly, alternate months with the TOTM. That way there is more time to get entries and you reduce the drain on the pool of ideas. I too just didn't have any worthy sps for this last one. Plus my pictures always seem to turn out kind of crappy. :redface:

muck
01-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Perhaps instead of doing it monthly, alternate months with the TOTM. That way there is more time to get entries and you reduce the drain on the pool of ideas. I too just didn't have any worthy sps for this last one. Plus my pictures always seem to turn out kind of crappy. :redface:

That is an idea we have been mulling over. I do kind of like havine a new topic monthly though. We shall see what next month brings first i guess. :wink:

btw... Thanks for all the responses/suggestions peeps.

Murminator
01-25-2007, 02:55 PM
How about hot reefer chicks???? :mrgreen:

Ruth
01-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Or stud muffin reefer six packs:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Der_Iron_Chef
01-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Or...reefer beer bellies! I'm a definite contender for that....:redface:

Midknight
01-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Or...reefer beer bellies! I'm a definite contender for that....:redface:

Yes, that would be the Canadian Reefer 12 pack.
Just like me. :wink:

Murminator
01-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Yes, that would be the Canadian Reefer 12 pack.
Just like me. :wink:

PFFFTTTT.... I got a keg :razz:

Midknight
01-25-2007, 05:21 PM
PFFFTTTT.... I got a keg :razz:

All righty, Sounds like we got us a change here... :lol:

Chaloupa
01-26-2007, 01:56 AM
I think that more "common" topics would be fun......at least then maybe more of us would have something to post. IE;black and white fish, something green...you get the jist!

Is there any way that where you feature the current POTM and TOTM there could be a link BESIDE the feature with the current topic for photos? I know it might mean some harder to do changes with site layout...but hey it's an idea

...I'm with Manny...I scan the newest threads and occassionaly will check out the entire forum..

On another forum they just had a simple POTM with the topic being damsels...not a big fan of damsels but the pics were fun and one was great! And not a HUGE response compared to the number of members on the site...just a few.

my 2 cents!