PDA

View Full Version : group order: diamond drill bits

kwirky
01-24-2007, 05:11 AM
anyone wanna get in on a group order for diamond drill bits? $40 gets a set of 10 that drill holes from 1/2" piping all the way up to 2" piping for both cheap tank adapters and spears (8 sizes in total, two 'doubles' bits)

Shipping's about $20 a set, but we could combine shipping for a large discount. Who's interested? these go for $40-100 EACH from stores in the city here.

if you want bits for specific sizes and don't want the set, lemme know what size holesaw you need. if you don't know the holesaw size, lemme know the size/brand of tank adapter. they go for $4 for the smallest and $8 for the largest.

Delphinus
01-24-2007, 05:19 AM
$40 for a set? Wow. I paid $100 a few years ago for a 1-3/4" and a 5/8" (1" bulkhead size and float valve size). That's an awesome price. Count me in (I guess I don't mind having doubles of the others if it gets me into some other sizes as well).

kwirky
01-24-2007, 05:42 AM
$40 for a set? Wow. I paid $100 a few years ago for a 1-3/4" and a 5/8" (1" bulkhead size and float valve size). That's an awesome price. Count me in (I guess I don't mind having doubles of the others if it gets me into some other sizes as well).

yeah i can't really believe the price neither. They're shipped straight from korea. Makes you wonder what the markup is on drill bits ;)
if you don't need the 1 3/4" size, you can get your set without that one. we just need to keep track of the exact ones people need if they don't want the whole kit n kaboodle. mind you, they're only like $4-8 each so u can't really go wrong with the whole set :D

some of the items from the seller are for two bits of the same size. we can just divy those up between people in pairs, so it kinda drives the price down a bit.

btw all exchanging of $$ will be through pay-pal unless you can get cash to me in person. anyone who gives me cash will have to wait 3-4 days for it to enter my pay-pal. the seller's on e-bay.

the sizes are as follows (inches):
1 1/8
1 1/2
1 3/4
2 1/2
2 3/4

and that's two people so far in total in for a whole set

midgetwaiter
01-24-2007, 06:43 AM
These bits are not the same as the more expensive stuff available from places like CRL. They're probably similar to the hole saws you see at Lee Valley and places like that with the diamond dust stuck to the outside of the bit rather than embedded in the steel.

It's definitely a decent price for those but having used both types I would never use one of these again, they're awful.

kwirky
01-24-2007, 04:36 PM
These bits are not the same as the more expensive stuff available from places like CRL. They're probably similar to the hole saws you see at Lee Valley and places like that with the diamond dust stuck to the outside of the bit rather than embedded in the steel.

It's definitely a decent price for those but having used both types I would never use one of these again, they're awful.

hmmm... well how bout I do some more research on these bits before committing anyone to order some. I'll get back with any information I find.

UPDATE: midgetwaiter's talking about "sintered" bits I believe. did some research, and I'm going to sample two of the cheap ones. today I ordered two plated bits from the seller, to see what kinda quality they are. when I get them, i'll let everyone know