PDA

View Full Version : most needed hole saws?

kwirky
01-23-2007, 11:27 PM
anyone out there have suggestions for the "most nessesary" sizes for diamon hole saws? I'm looking to get a bunch off e-bay. All I know is the spears 3/4" tank adapter uses a 1-3/4" (45mm) hole saw. Other than that, I don't know what sizes to get. I wanna order them all at once to save on shipping (they'll be coming from china).

I'm thinking the most common piping used is 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.5" and 2". so that's probably 4 hole saws in total. Can anyone tell me what sizes their tanks are drilled for, and the size of the holes cut?

BCOrchidGuy
01-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Hey, remember the hole saws do not correspond to PVC Diameter but to bulkhead size. For instance, my 1 1/2 inch bulkheads are for 1 inch PVC, look for my post in here about a week ago where someone told me what size hole for what size bulkhead and go from there.

Doug

kwirky
01-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Hey, remember the hole saws do not correspond to PVC Diameter but to bulkhead size. For instance, my 1 1/2 inch bulkheads are for 1 inch PVC, look for my post in here about a week ago where someone told me what size hole for what size bulkhead and go from there.

Doug

thanks for the lead, doug, that list helped a lot :)

So I've compiled a list of required drill bits for both "el-cheapo" tank adapters, and Spears adapters, because I'm sure SOMEONE will want this information later, and it's nice to have information in one spot :D

holesaw size (inches) * holesaw size (mm)
S = spears bulkhead pipe size (inches), C = el-cheapo bulkhead pipe size (inches)
1 1/8" * 29mm, C0.5
1 1/2" * 38.7mm, C0.75 S0.5
1 3/4" * 45.15mm, C1.0 S0.75
2" * 51.6mm, S1.0
2 1/2" * 64.5mm, C1.5
2 3/4" * 70.95mm, S1.5
3" * 77.4mm, C2.0
3 3/8" * 87mm, S2.0

a little sidenote/story....

When I got my glass cut by bow valley, mitch sold me some bulkheads, saying "those bulkheads at W.I.P.A.L. are REAL nice, but we can't afford 'em"
I bought some of the ones Doug mentioned in his thread:

http://www.pondsdirect.com/images/categories/C195.jpg

well, my mom works at a WIPAL (plumbing wholesaler) and the owner, Mike, was over for x-mas and when he saw the bulkheads, he said "those are the worst bulkheads i've ever seen. I don't even know where he GOT those things!" He gave me some spears ones for x-mas lol.

I'm using the 3/4" in my 120g for the return line. the REAL nice 1.5" spears he gave me didn't fit in the hole cut in the tank already, so I gave it back. thing was worth like $80 though!

so now I have to hum and haw, because I can't afford all these hole saws (found 'em for $5-30 each on e-bay from china). I have to decide whether to emphasize the el-cheapo sizes or the spears sizes...

decisions decisions!

danny zubot
01-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Let me know when they arrive, I may need to borrow one.(or bring my surge tank up to you for drilling):mrgreen: BTW, what kind of price are you getting say a 1.5" bit for?

kwirky
01-25-2007, 04:25 AM
i don't know if i'm ordering all the ones I found.

found out they're diamond coated, not diamond plated. basically the bits are $5 each because the diamond dust is glued on, not embedded. they wear out after like 2 holes, and are a pain to work with even on the first one.

I think i'm just going to wait till I need holes drilled for sure, and then order good ones online (they're still about 25% cheaper than in the city).

I just saw the cheap bits, and thought "hey i should get them all, then charge $15 a hole to drill and make some extra cash!" idea didn't really pan out though ;)