PDA

View Full Version : Center Braces

krisalexander
01-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Hey,
I recently purchased a 3 ft 65 G tank, it has a cross brace in the middle and it blocks light. Anyone ever removed these safely? or is it a bad idea to remove it?
Thanks

Kris

kwirky
01-23-2007, 05:32 AM
how thick is the glass?

krisalexander
01-23-2007, 05:34 AM
about 3/8" is the best measurement i can get

Kris

Neil
01-23-2007, 05:57 AM
i had the exact same issue 6 months ago (same tank). i couldnt find any clear cut answer, everyone has their own opinions, so i ended up eurobracing it myself just to be safe rather than sorry with a huge water damage insurance claim. Go to a glass shop and see what you can get a few strips of 3/8- 1/2 glass cut up for. It works like a charm and the piece of mind is worth the extra effort. That being said- if the tank is up and running- your hooped for going that route. i have read of many people running tanks without the center braces for years with no issues- its up to you.

krisalexander
01-23-2007, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the input, I know I just didn't really think that the brace would be a problem until i hung a MH pendant. It isn't the end of the world just could be better with out i guess. I can deal with it unless there is a better option. And i work in the glass industry so next time i take down my tank i will do that with the glass piece.

Thanks

Kris