PDA

View Full Version : Rotifers

Reefhawk1
01-23-2007, 12:29 AM
I am wondering how many reef keepers use rotifers as a coral food supplement. Has it made any changes to your reef and coral growth?

fishface
02-09-2007, 03:06 AM
bump for a good question...

Stones
02-09-2007, 04:28 AM
I feed frozen rotifers mixed with reef roids to most of my corals at least once a week. I haven't really noticed much of a difference in the corals coloration, polyp extension, or growth rate though compared to when I do not feed my corals at all.

Chad
02-09-2007, 08:44 PM
I used to feed rotifers all the time to my tank, it did seem to make a huge difference. But I got complacent in keeping them alive and well, I gave up. I want to start doing it again tho.

fishface
02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
I used to feed rotifers all the time to my tank, it did seem to make a huge difference. But I got complacent in keeping them alive and well, I gave up. I want to start doing it again tho.outta curiousity, how easy or difficult is it to keep them. i know there's lots of info on the web but it all makes it seem like a form of rocket science. anyone from first-hand experience chime in here?

Reefhawk1
02-11-2007, 06:02 PM
I am attempting to grow rotifers at the moment and at the moment it does seem a little difficult. It is a new culture and I have to try to be patient due to it seems that the green water they live in doesn't seem to be changing to a light color over the course of a day. I guess I will have to go buy a microscope to see if they are alive.

Anyone else have any luck with Rotifers?

justinl
02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Maybe your green algae isn't good quality? Ive had problems with rotifers due to bad algae. It should smell like newly cut lawn and when it's in the culture tank, the algae shouldn't stick too much to the sides of the tank.

Chad
02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I found raising them easy.. But you need to remember to feed them daily and to harvest them on a regular basis.. but other than that. a piece of cake.

Midknight
02-12-2007, 03:15 PM
I found raising them easy.. But you need to remember to feed them daily and to harvest them on a regular basis.. but other than that. a piece of cake.

Hey Chad, if you want to put on a class I am sure there are a number of people that would love to see how you do it first hand. :wink:

fishface
02-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Hey Chad, if you want to put on a class I am sure there are a number of people that would love to see how you do it first hand. :wink:
yah baby! sign me up too Chad!! :wink:

Chad
02-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Hehe, sure.. I have no problem showing people.. really easy to do. whomever wants to see how PM me and we can set up a workshop day :) I'll have a setup working etc and we can all have a look. But you will be disgusted by how easy it is :)