PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf/Flame/Pygmy angel - Size/Tank Requirements

andsoitgoes
01-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Hey there all - I may be changing around what I have in my tank as my sailfin outgrows the 44g cube - and I've been trying to hem and haw what I want to get.

I've heard a lot of comments on the above mentioned angels, and the fact that the pics have shown these GORGEOUS little creatures really makes me interested in these as potential tank mates. However, I want to ensure they've got enough room to move in the tank.

Outside of the Tang, I have:

3x Blue Chromis
2x Clarkii Clowns
1x Leopard Wrasse
1x Mandarin Goby

Random inverts/snails, etc.

I know a large concern is their ability to nip at corals, so that's obviously something I need to think about.

My main concern is load on the tank, and ability for the angel to swim. There is a lot of open area in the front, and a lot of rockwork for hiding in the back (sucks for cleaning the tank, sigh, but great for the fishies)

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Nick

muck
01-22-2007, 08:50 PM
I love my White-Tail Pygmy Angel (Centropyge flavicauda). She has been a model citizen and has never nipped at corals or clams.
They can be a little aggressive to newcomers (as with most dwarf angels). The best part is they don't get much bigger than 3" so one would work in your 44G tank nicely.

Montana
01-22-2007, 10:49 PM
go for it , i love my bicolor angel. it has never nipped at my corals yet.

Chaloupa
01-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey Nick! I had a Dwarf Pygmy Angel in my tank....65g hex reef(tall tank with only 24 inches across) it was really happy, never bothered any corals or stuff in the tank...until it jumped out...:redface: ARGH!

andsoitgoes
01-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Hey Nick! I had a Dwarf Pygmy Angel in my tank....65g hex reef(tall tank with only 24 inches across) it was really happy, never bothered any corals or stuff in the tank...until it jumped out...:redface: ARGH!

LOL - d'oh. That's my only concern, I don't have a top on my tank. Hrm. Well, I'd rather not lose a fish to a very gungky floor - but I DO really like them. Do you think adding one in with the tank now would be a bad idea? I could really use some help with diatom algae ;)

Nick

Montana
01-23-2007, 03:01 AM
i dont have a top on my tank either but it is 155 gal. hth