PDA

View Full Version : Filtration advice - new tank

kevinpaz
01-22-2007, 07:18 PM
I plan on setting up a 65 gallon tank with 65 lbs of live rock, a decent protein skimmer (sorry, forget the specs), and an eheim 2217. My concern is that the cannister filter will only cycle the tanks water 4.5 times per hour - I've heard that 10 times per hour should be minimum for a fish only setup.

In terms of stocking levels I'm not sure. I suppose I'm looking for advice in that category as well.

Any comments/advice welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin

bassman
01-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I plan on setting up a 65 gallon tank with 65 lbs of live rock, a decent protein skimmer (sorry, forget the specs), and an eheim 2217. My concern is that the cannister filter will only cycle the tanks water 4.5 times per hour - I've heard that 10 times per hour should be minimum for a fish only setup.

In terms of stocking levels I'm not sure. I suppose I'm looking for advice in that category as well.

Any comments/advice welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin

I may be wrong here but I would think a sump tank would be a better investment than a cannister filter. Your live rock is going to act as your bio filter and your sump could have a filter sock in it to catch you debris (optional). You could then use a decent return pump to give you a higher turn over rate and better circulation. You will also be increasing your total water volume by adding a sump as well.

You should try to find the specs on the protein skimmer too so we can see if it will be large enough for your system. Most are over rated by the manufacturer.

kevinpaz
01-22-2007, 07:52 PM
I've used this tank in the past for freshwater so I already have the tank (not drilled) and the cannister filter. I know a sump would work best but unfortunately I don't have the $$$ to get a new tank atm.

For the protein skimmer I don't have one yet but will purchase one from my LFS when ready. I need a hang-off-back type.

christyf5
01-22-2007, 07:53 PM
IMO, the rock will get the job done. The canister filter will have to be maintained with a fairly strict cleaning schedule as they are nitrate factories (although good for running carbon and water polishing on a short term basis).

Oh ya and Welcome to Canreef! :razz:

muck
01-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Welcome to Canreef Kevin!!

Montana
01-23-2007, 03:04 AM
my first tank was run with can filter. took everything out and added only carbon. worked good. for water flow add some powerheads.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-23-2007, 03:32 AM
Hey Kevin...welcome :smile:

First thing I recommend, especially since you mention you're on a budget, is to wait for things to sell here instead of going out and paying full price at a store. Skimmers and live rock pop up for sale here semi-regularly, so you just have to keep your eyes peeled!

Regarding the canister filter...I have been running one on my tank with only carbon and a phosphate-binding media (Rowaphos or Phosar). Recently I've disconnected it, though, because as Christy stated, it requires fairly strict maintenance/cleaning, and I wasn't able to do so. I'm looking into integrating a sump and am collecting the parts to do so slowly.

If I had to do it over again....or if I were you....I would just get the tank drilled right now while you don't have anything in it. I'm sure there are even people here in Calgary who would be willing to help you do that, etc., including the plumbing.

Anyway...keep researching and don't rush. And again, welcome!

Raf
01-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah, the Eheims don't move a lot of water, but that is not what you need them for. Get some good powerheads for current and use the canister strictly as a mech/chem filter. As mentioned, make sure you service it frequently. Your LR will provide the bio filtration that you need.

kevinpaz
01-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the greets and advice.

I'm still unsure if I should setup this current tank without a sump or wait until I can purchase a 100+ gallon tank and maybe build a sump out of the 65 (if it will fit underneath).

Perhaps the best piece of advice is to be patient - unfortunately it's getting harder and harder every day to resist the quick win. :biggrin:

kari
01-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Don't be too concerned with tank volume turn over rates but do look at flow rates/patterns within the tank as noted earlier.

danny zubot
01-30-2007, 10:35 PM
I have a 65 gallon tank which I got drilled. I think it cost me about $60 including the bulkhead. I built the overflow out of some scrap plexi I had laying around. Then I bought an old beat up 25 gallon tank for a sump for around $20. Then I payed Bow valley like $10 to make me some baffles for it, siliconed them myself.

Return pump will require some research and could range between $80-$200 used depending on what you can find.

I hope this gives you a good idea of what you can do. I would recommend setting up the sump even before buying the skimmer. You'll thank yourself in the long run for having a sump, I promise.