PDA

View Full Version : Plasticizing suction cups

trilinearmipmap
01-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Whenever I have suction cups (for heaters, thermometers, filter intake tubes etc.) in 6 months or so they are no longer soft and flexible but become hard and no longer function as suction cups. This happens in both FW and SW tanks.

Does anyone know a way to make these things soft again? I was thinking of some kind of chemical dip.

G1GY
01-22-2007, 03:22 AM
Probably is something out there, but it would more than likely cost more than new suction cups.

Johnny Reefer
01-22-2007, 03:41 AM
Boiling them in FW sometimes works. But then...sometimes not. I agree that buying new ones is a good option. That's what I used to do....until I set things up so I don't need the damn things anymore.:smile:

Cheers,

targaboy78
01-22-2007, 04:04 AM
You could try silicone lubricant but to be honest I doubt if it will bring brittle suction cups back.

I use it for the O-Seals for my UV Sterilizer. The UV really does a number on the rubber but the silicone lubricant really extends the life.

You will probably have better luck starting with fresh suction cups and treating them while they are new and reapplying when you perfrom your regular maintenenace.

HTH
Paul.