PDA

View Full Version : Mixing fresh and saltwater equipment???

Buddyboy
01-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Hi All,

I would like to use an Aquaclear powerfilter on my 38G salt tank. I just removed it from my freshwater tank and would like to use it for extra flow, water polishing, etc. Just wondering how well I need to clean it before I use it in my salt tank? I have cleaned it with warm water and a sponge, but i'm sure there is still some freshwater grunge and algae still around. Is there anything in a freshwater tank that could harm my salt tank? Maybe i'm just being overly cautious?

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

Bud

fkshiu
01-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Just give everything a good scrub and you'll be fine. If you're really paranoid soak it in a mild bleach solution and rinse well but that's probably not necessary.

Very, very few things can go straight from fresh and salt (and vice-versa) and survive.

Kronk
01-22-2007, 03:26 AM
I agree i wouldnt worry about it too much i put a powerhead from freshwater into a saltwater and it was fine just get off as much gunk as possible. If you have the time you can let it dry out for a few days then wash it again to get rid of the gunk. I wouldnt use any kind of cleaning solutions.

Buddyboy
01-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks alot for your help guys. The powerfilter is in place and busy polishing water! :)