PDA

View Full Version : I have a very complex question

Bob I
11-05-2002, 11:12 PM
I have a very well established 33 gallon cube type reef. It has a lot of LR in it. There are only three fish in it. My two almost three year old Ocellaris Clowns, and my almost three year old Cleaner Wrasse. I would like to add a Mandarin, but am worried about feeding. There is a ten gallon refugium on the tank, which is full of shrimplike creatures, and other pods. The problem is that the return from the refugium is a hagen 301 powerhead. Any bugs that are caught in it would be mashed before getting to the main tank. As a last cause I have a wonderful CPR 12" refugium on my nano. It too has a lot of bugs in it. I could hang that on the 33 to feed bugs to that tank. The main tank would then have two refugia. What do the Mandarin experts think. :?: :?: :?:

reefburnaby
11-05-2002, 11:40 PM
Hi,

The wrasse might be a problem and it may complete with your Mandarin for food. Do you have lots of pods in your tank during the night and how long have you had the wrasse ?

- Victor.

EmilyB
11-05-2002, 11:52 PM
Here is some good reading on the picturatus (http://www22.brinkster.com/seafan/fish/fr016spotmandarin/spotmandarin.html) with links to recent surveys done on reefs.org for both splendidus and picturatus.

I am fortunate as my mandarin eats prepared foods. I still do, however, subscribe to the 100lbs of live rock per mandarin opinion, as well as avoiding competition for it's natural foods.

I had a mated spawning pair for almost a year, and the female, although healthy in appearance, died. I do not know if this was because the 155g system is not large enough to support two, so I have not replaced her.

Bob I
11-06-2002, 01:37 AM
OK thanks guys. I have had the wrasse for almost three years, and he eats prepared food of course. :D

And another question Deb. Part of Butt Ugly is in the process of moving onto another rock. His foot is still on his old rock. Do you think he is about to split??

EmilyB
11-06-2002, 01:41 AM
Not necessarily, mine have fooled me several times. Generally, however, they look like CRAP before they split, kind of deflated and uglier than usual... :lol:

Canadian
11-06-2002, 04:10 AM
My two almost three year old Ocellaris Clowns, and my almost three year old Cleaner Wrasse.

Considering the above sentence was written by someone who fancies himself to be a "grammar cop," the sentence is woefully incomplete; it lacks a predicate, and the use of some hyphens between "three," "year," and "old" would also be "Kosher."

;)

Bob I
11-06-2002, 04:26 PM
:oops: