PDA

View Full Version : Prizm Skimmer Mods

Kronk
01-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey all of you "unfortunate" Prizm skimmer owners check out these mods i just did them and my skimmer is working like a champ now.

http://www.reefland.com/forum/diy/16105-totw-8-23-05-prism-skimmer-mods.html

DanG
01-24-2007, 03:37 AM
Check out this thread.
http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7365

I had done that mod back when I had a prizm skimmer. The added 3 or so inches by the plumb quik adapter made a big difference, I could open the flow valve the whole way getting more flow in the tank and more more water throught the skimmer.
If you don't want to register on that forum, pm me your email address and I can email you the pictures.

Kronk
01-24-2007, 05:10 AM
Hey thanks for the link, that mod is mentioned in the one i posted but i was concerned about a ton of bubbles getting into the tank? how do you keep them in check?

Thanks,
Ken

andsoitgoes
01-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Ken - did you just run the airline tubing out into a control valve rather than into the air clearer return in the collection box? What did you do at that point?

And I think adding the plumb quik plus filling the media basket with carbon would be sufficient to resolve any problems with micro bubbles..

4ptbuck
01-24-2007, 04:58 PM
I did the extension mod, and it works great. Lots of micros though. not a problem for me, cause it's in my sump, before a bubble trap.

DanG
01-24-2007, 05:01 PM
I had the media basket filled with a filter sock that had some carbon in it and also some fliter floss, that seemed to take care of most of the bubbles.

Kronk
01-25-2007, 12:17 AM
Ken - did you just run the airline tubing out into a control valve rather than into the air clearer return in the collection box? What did you do at that point?

And I think adding the plumb quik plus filling the media basket with carbon would be sufficient to resolve any problems with micro bubbles..

I just put the airtube to the collection box i dont see any reason the air supply should be restricted, the hole to the collection box restricts the air a bit but the decreased noise is well worth it. I think the biggest help in this mod is just replacing the airtube mine had shrunk significantly due to it being a year old. It sounds like running though any type of media will capture a lot of bubbles.

andsoitgoes
01-25-2007, 01:58 AM
I just put the airtube to the collection box i dont see any reason the air supply should be restricted, the hole to the collection box restricts the air a bit but the decreased noise is well worth it. I think the biggest help in this mod is just replacing the airtube mine had shrunk significantly due to it being a year old. It sounds like running though any type of media will capture a lot of bubbles.

Maybe I'm confused at the mod, then =/

So - you take the airline tube from the intake and put it in an adjustable valve - And then you put it right into the collection cup or...? Maybe I'm missing a step here :D

Or maybe we should do up some piccies?? ;)

justinl
02-08-2007, 10:11 AM
hey, what is a "plumb quik"? Is that the company's name or the name of the thing itself? I say this because I went into my local Rona, and the guys there had no idea what it was.

DanG
02-08-2007, 10:37 PM
plumb quik is a brand name, it's a part that I did find at one of the Home Depot's here. It was about 6 bucks.
It is a black rubber reducer, 1 1/2" to 1 1/4". It should be down the plumbing aisle and if I remember right, it had a pinkish purple paper label on it.