PDA

View Full Version : Simple Ozone Treatment

Samw
01-21-2007, 07:15 AM
I've been looking at various Ozone solutions and I think I just need something really simple for my 38G tank. I just want to generate a little ozone a few hours per day. So I was wondering if I can just setup a Rio Nano skimmer, add ozone to it, and add carbon to it. Would that work?

Pescador
01-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Hey Sam
I been trying to think of some ideas for ozone on your tank.
Can you test your ORP before you add ozone? On a smaller tank if it's already high you should probably use a controller for the ozone. You could maybe use a 50mg generator but it kinda depends on your ORP now.
You would need an air dryer and maybe an air pump as well.

With the Rio skimmer is there a way to filter the air as well as the water with carbon? Maybe fit a carbon bag over the top?
What about injecting ozone into your AquaC?

With two skimmers you might have a harder time adjusting them especially if they are fiddly to start with.

Do you think the AquaC is doing a good job on your tank? Maybe upgrading to a larger skimmer with a collection cup that is easier to filter the air and has a longer contact time for the ozone. A skimmer that you could plumb the output through something like a Phosban reactor with carbon.

Anyway just some rambling ideas for you.

vanreefer
01-21-2007, 05:48 PM
making a reactor wasn't too much work I used a phosban reactor style with a second chanmber for carbon... one thing that you need to consider is that you must use cell cast acrylic as extruded acrylic will eventually be damaged by the oxidizers (O3)