PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for catching Fish?

krisalexander
01-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Hello,
I am trying to catch out two chromis's that are in my 65 G reef tank, I am going to put them into a 33G instead because of bioloads reasons. I was wondering if anyone has any tricks to catching fish.. I got two of the 4 already by feeding and when they get up to the top scoop them, but the two that are in there now are too smart to catch..
Thanks

Kris

andresont
01-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Fish trap is the only way to catch ! i dont have oic, but it is a clear pipe... ahh to much to type here is the link
http://www.northcoastmarines.com/traps.htm

niloc16
01-21-2007, 05:46 AM
this would be a good thread for people to give their tricks for catching fish. i've been trying to catch a flame angel and a pair of black clowns with not. havent tried the trap though

fkshiu
01-21-2007, 05:51 AM
Aside from a trap there are a couple other techniques you can try:

- stun them momentarily by turning on the lights in the middle of the night (works only if they sleep in an accesible area)

- leave your net(s) in the tank for a week or two so that the fish get "too comfortable" with them.

I don't think any one technique will be a sure thing. Chromis are small, fast and quite smart. As a result, they can be near impossible to catch in a reef tank with a lot of live rock and other obstructions short of tearing the tank down. Ever wonder why LFS always keep their livestock tanks relatively bare?

krisalexander
01-21-2007, 07:07 AM
I appreciate the insights, the reef trap would be good but i dont want to spend 39$ i would rather just struggle and hopefully just get lucky. I will try that light trick see if it works. Niloc, firstly I have heard u have a unbelievable tank, and one that is a must see so congrats, secondly if u were to catch the angel would u be selling it or just moving it? (Im wanting to get a flame angel.)

Kris

niloc16
01-21-2007, 07:46 AM
thanks for the compliments. i would sell it if someone is interested otherwise just trade it into the LFS. i have him for about a year, extremely healthy and nice colors, i have pics of him in my tank journal thread. i was initially going to get rid of him because he was picking at my monti but there seems to be no ill effects from it and he is not bothering my other sps so i'll see, it may not be worth the fight of trying to catch him.

draco
01-21-2007, 01:37 PM
we caught a flame angle and a purple doddy back,This is the cheep way. take a plastic pop bottle (we used a 500 ml for the doddy back and a 1L for the flame) clean the bottle remove all labels,cut the bottle top off below where it is tapered, now turn the top around and push the top back into the bottom.you may have to cut the part you drink from if your fish is to big to fit in the hole. put some fish food in the bottle and put it in the tank. it took 5 min to catch the dottyback and 20 min to get the flame

krisalexander
01-21-2007, 05:30 PM
thanks draco I will try that tonight... I tried to catch it last night when the lights were off and the clowns swam right into the net! it is always the ones that u dont want to catch that you do.

thanks
Kris

fishguyxd
01-22-2007, 12:57 AM
I used the one that is for crabs etc it works pretty good even caught a shrimp.

pocilipora
01-22-2007, 06:46 PM
A small barbless fish hook works, Ive done it a few times.

Beermaster
01-22-2007, 07:32 PM
A small barbless fish hook works, Ive done it a few times.
I fully agree, we have captured many a fish with this method

Canadbis
01-23-2007, 12:31 AM
I put the net in the tank in the morning and go to work. Then I come home and feed into the net, next you just have to root out the ones you want from the ones you caught.

GL

Chaloupa
01-23-2007, 12:47 AM
the only concern I would have with putting the net in the tank and leaving would be catching the wrong fish early in the day and it being unable to get out, getting stuck and dying.....my rabbitfish went into a net that fell into the tank and was stuck...luckily we were home and "rescued" it! Pretty freaked out!

We caught a clownfish with a small barbless hook...was a bit fun too! Could've caught many of the other fish but took a long time to catch this fish...of course you never get the intended fish always the ones you don't want to catch :lol:

krisalexander
01-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Well, one is caught, I put a 2L coke bottle into the tank, went to school then came home and put some food in, then eventually caught it, still working on the other one.
Thanks for the input,
Kris

briansmyth
01-23-2007, 01:50 AM
I like two people each using two nets in the tank at the same time - each should have one smaller net and one bigger net. It may help to rearrange your live rock to give you more of an advantage when using your nets.

andresont
01-23-2007, 02:25 AM
I appreciate the insights, the reef trap would be good but i dont want to spend 39$ i would rather just struggle and hopefully just get lucky.

Kris
KingEdPet has a trap, and if you are nice to Kathy she will rent it to you for 5$ with refunable deposit.

krisalexander
01-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Thank you for all the input, the 2L bottle worked and I got the other two out today. Thanks again for everyones help. This will be a great thread to look upon later on as well.

Kris

andsoitgoes
01-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Thank you for all the input, the 2L bottle worked and I got the other two out today. Thanks again for everyones help. This will be a great thread to look upon later on as well.

Kris

awesome!!

Now- pictures on what the thing looked like? I'm all about visual ;)