PDA

View Full Version : Chiton died, and STINKS

andsoitgoes
01-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Okay - So I got a chiton a few weeks ago at OA. Acclimated it like I did my fromia, who was fine. The Chiton however never really seemed happy. Wouldn't unravel and just sort of stopped doing much of anything. I kept thinking it'd come around. It didn't.

Today, I noticed it was looking a little worse and I was planning on taking it out later this evening. I went in today to check on my urchin, and the entire room had a bit of a stink. I couldn't figure out what, until I noticed my chiton upside down. I freaked, took it out and the smell was SO horrible - I had to restrain puking =/

I got rid of it - but should I be concerned in regards to anything bad it could release in my tank ala some inverts like sea hares, etc?

It's a 44g cube, with a fair deal of live rock and I just want to play it safe, but don't want to do a W/C right now as to not disturb the urchin or fromia recently added.

Thanks in advance all you knowledgable people!!

Nick

Ruth
01-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Pardon my ignorance but what is a Chiton?

andsoitgoes
01-21-2007, 12:20 AM
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/chitonfaqs.htm

That'd be those guys - Found one at OA, thought it'd do great...

justinl
01-21-2007, 12:20 AM
As far as i know, chitons don't produce any form of toxins and don't store them like some nudibranchs either. So I wouldn't worry about that. That said, I would worry about water quality anyways due simply to the smell and the probable state of decay it had just underwent. In other words I think a good water change is the right thing to do here.

Ruth
01-21-2007, 12:24 AM
I googled it and found out. I had tried liveaquaria and "about saltwateraquariums" and didn't get anything.
I think that seeing as how you are getting a strong smell from it a water change is definately in order. Your corals are going to be more disturbed by a nitrite or nitrate spike than they are by a water change.

mark
01-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Just how big was this thing?

untamed
01-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Smells like you got it out of there just in time. You'll have introduced an ammonia spike, but a muture tank should be able to handle it...Logic would suggest that you'll have a Nitrate spike shortly. Watch for a small algae bloom.

andsoitgoes
01-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Oy vey - Well, I'll be doing a W/C later tonight then. I figure 25% in a 44g tank that isn't as mature as I'd like it ot be, but should be good enough to fight anything horrid...

As for how big? Literally about 1" long and about 3/4" wide. not big at all.