PDA

View Full Version : What eats Bristle?? worms?

Glennrf38
01-20-2007, 10:25 PM
I have way to many Bristle?? worms. (Long, flat, pink, spikes on the sides) what eats these things?

Thanks

Sushiman
01-20-2007, 10:41 PM
my copperband in my old set up loved them, as did my lunare wrasse. in my new set-up I'm planning on a clown fairy wrasse & I heard they like them as well.

saltwatermaniac
01-20-2007, 11:36 PM
I have known arrow crabs to eat bristle worms!

fkshiu
01-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Perhaps you should look at the reason why you have so many bristle worms in the first place before you go the predator route of control.

Bristle worms generally feed on dead and decaying material. The usual source of this in aquaria is overfeeding/overstocking and die-off. Try cutting back on your feedings and maybe lower your bioland and most of the bristle worms will simply starve to death until you have a manageable population that does its job as a natural part of your clean-up crew.

Snappy
01-21-2007, 05:39 AM
Yellow coris wrass's eat them.

Samw
01-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Magenta Dottybacks eat them, even the large worms. Do you have any other ornamental worms or small crestaceans though? Cause the dottyback will eat those too.

draco
01-21-2007, 01:43 PM
a pet store in edmonton had bristol worms and they got in a bunch of arrow crabs the arrow crabs were cutting the bristol worms in half now they have ten times as many. The best bet is the trap for bristol worms, you buy the trap it comes with food put it in the tank at night by the spot that has the bristol take the trap in the morning throw out the bristol worms

Glennrf38
01-21-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't know if I have "too many" of them. They don't seem to be hurting anything. And as a matter of fact, they are pretty kewl to watch throughout the tank. My bio load is very small right now and if all the worms do is eat the detrius then I can live with them. My guess is that, yes, I am overfeeding my tank. I will cut back on the feeding for a while.
Did my description sound like the "good" bristle worms to everybody?

mark
01-21-2007, 05:01 PM
While ago picked up some LR that was crawling with worms, was almost creepy when feeding the tank. Haven't seen any in months and have couple of clowns, damsel, 6-line wrasse and a P Tang. Leaning towards the 6-line as the guy with the appetite.

Matt
01-21-2007, 09:36 PM
While ago picked up some LR that was crawling with worms, was almost creepy when feeding the tank. Haven't seen any in months and have couple of clowns, damsel, 6-line wrasse and a P Tang. Leaning towards the 6-line as the guy with the appetite.I'd put my money on the wrasse, too. My 6-line works pretty hard to keep our tank worm and pod free. In our other tank, the pair of ocellaris don't seem a bit interested in the large worm population.

MobyDick
01-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Copper band will eat them but he also like feather dusters and might nip at clams.mine did.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-22-2007, 02:44 AM
6 Line Wrasse will eat them pretty fast! Emerald Crabs work too but I have had Emerald Crabs eat the odd coral as well.

DiscusZ
01-22-2007, 05:08 AM
I have seen my banded shrimp eating them as well..

hummer
01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
I saw my arrow crab eat a few. But a Bristle worm trap works really well. I have the green tube one. Just set it down where you see the worms. Then turn off the lights and in about 1hr you should have caught a few.