PDA

View Full Version : looking for ideas

dunl
01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Not even sure how to search for this one, but how difficult would it be to plumb three tanks of increasing size together, over top of each other, so that the water circulates between the three of them? Sort of like a double sump, I guess.

tranvictor
01-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Not that hard, just make sure your stand and floor can support all that weight. It would be easiest to have the smallest tank at the top. Have each one overflow to the next, then down into the sump, pumped back to the top tank.

The plumbing will be easy, I think building the stand and making sure each layer is level will be the difficult thing to do. If you do decide to go for it, take some pics.

AndyL
01-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Really not hard at all - only real headache is keeping down the microbubbles in the lower tanks.

If you wait 2 weeks, I'll be putting up a tank journal showing a slightly more complicated system - 3 @ ~50g stacked, side offset sump and a fuge.

dunl
01-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys...I didn't think it would be too hard, but I couldn't find any information anywhere online about a three sump system. As for racking, I'll be making my own for the fishroom, so it could be built for the weight.