PDA

View Full Version : shift ing crushed corals

kgb
11-05-2002, 06:04 PM
umm i have a question for you all
ok i am getting quitt a bit stuff inbetween my crush cral and have heard about conches and cucumbers being use for cleaning it in small particle sand but what can i use to clean my crushed coral bed ??
i dont know if this makes any sense but i tried :)

Bob I
11-05-2002, 08:48 PM
The best advice I have seen about crushed coral is to get rid of it, and replace it with a proper DSB. :shock:

canadawest
11-06-2002, 05:45 AM
IMO, it entirely depends on how large your crushed coral is. I also started my tank (on old advice) with crushed coral, but I have quite fine crushed coral, not the large chunky stuff. With that said I just added a bunch of sugar sized aragonite to my existing bed and have what Dr. Shimek recommends, a good mixed size sandbed now.

If you have fine crushed coral, dont waste your time trying to remove it, just add some fine sand to it and it will mix in with time. If you have the really coarse crushed coral then Bob's advice is sound, remove as much as you can and replace with a finer grain DSB.

kgb
11-06-2002, 11:56 PM
well its probably a cm or less
hrmmm i was thinking of adding some aggarinight
or how ever you spell it and for the small crushed coral what would move it round lots ? cucumber

Bob I
11-07-2002, 01:16 AM
Anything that is around a centimeter is far too large. It needs to sugar sized. There is no need for expensive Aragonite. You can use Silica Sand (playsand), or Pool Filter sand (that is silica too), Sandblasting sand is fine too.

kgb
11-07-2002, 01:26 AM
where can i get this sand from

StirCrazy
11-07-2002, 04:18 AM
One thing I will have to disagree on is the use of silica sand when you are spicificaly doing it for "sand sturing" critters..

while it might work fine in the sence of denitrafication it is hard on the critters as silica sand is sharp compared to "Olitic" sand..

I went throught this whole debate when I was looking for stuff for my tank and the "Cons" far out weighed the "Pros" and I ended up getting the sand that Jason is selling through several distributers.

and at 25 bucks for 30 lbs it realy isn't that much more than silica sand..

if you do insist on getting silica sand make sur ethe sand you get is 100% silica, normal sandblasting sand contain metals and fieldspare with will reack havic with algae if you let it.. also another point is "Playsands in cannada do not contain silica (it is a hazord if you breath it in.. so if you use it use a dust mask when adding it) so you realy have to check the ingreadents of playsands.

Steve

pocilipora
11-07-2002, 04:20 AM
Dont take out what you have just leave it. Add your fine sand to this and the larger coral pieces will eventualy rise to the top where you can remove them but its not neccesary with such a little amount. It adds texture. Aragonite sand buffers the ph of your water so Id recomend this over silica sand.

StirCrazy
11-07-2002, 04:28 AM
one thing I for got , you can replace the klarge stuff with out losing your "bugs" by moving it all to one side of the tank, adding new sand to the bare part then wait a few weeks tank out the crushed coral and fill the new side with sand.. the longer inbetween side tha better.

if you have a refuge for producing "Pods" safe the larger crushed coral for that.

Steve

reefburnaby
11-07-2002, 05:40 AM
Hi,

Actually, all fine dust is not healthy...be it silica or any material. So, I would try to reduce your exposure to the dust.

Silica sand (including sandblasting sand) has been used for years and most reefers have not had problems. As you know with this hobby, you get what you pay for. If you plan to use any sand other than Caribsea, do a search on RC and you'll get more info for what to look out for.

- Victor.

Bob I
11-07-2002, 03:51 PM
As far as Silica Sand being sharp. I noticed that too, so what I do is get Pool Sand, it is not sharp, as it just screened silica. It is all one size, no dust to speak of. I put it in first, and put Aragonite on top, because it is white. Kim uses what he calls "peen". I think it is white too. :D :D