PDA

View Full Version : first timer MH question.

pandafishowner
01-20-2007, 02:51 AM
I just ordered a 175 W 20K HQI DE Metal Halide Aquarium Bulb Lamp Reef today (bulb only for $10) and am wondering if anyone knows the length of the bulb and what's the best way to set it up. So what type of ballast and is it a hood I need, or what? :redface:

fkshiu
01-20-2007, 06:12 AM
175W DE is a rare MH configuration for aquaria.

If it says "HQI" then you must get a 175W HQI ballast. You'll also need a fixture with a reflector and UV shield.

You've kinda gone about this backwards as most people get the fixture/ballast first before deciding on the bulb.

Also, not sure what kind of performance you'll get out of $10 bulbs (esp. if they're 20K).

midgetwaiter
01-20-2007, 06:18 AM
I know a few people that have tried this and they didn't have much trouble with them. They will run okay in a 150w system, I know AndyL has his setup that way, you could ask him what ballast he is using.

Are you looking for a DIY kind of setup here or something you can buy assembled?

andsoitgoes
01-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Just note that the fact it's 20k is going to reduce its "potential" in how well it would feed shallow-reef stuff like clams, sps, etc. Also - 20k can be notoriously dark and bluish, you're probably going to want to look at something that also has an ability to add PC bulbs to supplement with 10K in order to bring out the colors a bit - that's what I've seen with 20K bulbs anyway...

pandafishowner
01-20-2007, 03:47 PM
we're pretty much going the DIY route. hubby likes the blue. between his normal light and his blue actinic, he prefers the actinic (sp?). it was his decision on which MH to go with. we knew when we ordered it that it was blue and not white or the white/blue MH bulbs. we can always order a white one later and adjust it :wink: hubby has done a DIY light setup for a friend before and had no problems, but with MH i wasn't 100% positive if we could go the DIY route or if a premade one was the way to go.