PDA

View Full Version : lymphocystis on my naso

Montana
01-19-2007, 02:01 AM
:redface: lymphocystis , has anyone had this disease in one of their fish. i did some research on the disease and there is no cure but to wait it out and the fish should overcome the disease. i dont know if this is right? but i dont have any experience in this disease. any info on some of your experiences would be great,:sad:

bulletsworld
01-19-2007, 06:02 PM
What are your symptoms you have on your Naso? Is it cotton like fluffs on fins or body? Why do you think your fish has this disease?

I did have a Naso tang & a Angel fish in the past that had lymphocystic. Lymphocystic is a virus, I refer to as fish herpes. It can be spread to other fish if the other fish has an open wound. Lymphocystic can be controlled and even eliminated with many factors corrected, such as improving & maintaining excellent water quality, raising water temperature higher, having a low population tank, no stress for that fish and garlic soaked foods. With these conditions above corrected, the disease usually runs its course in 4 or more weeks.

Now, lymphocystic can be easily misdiagnosed and be a secondary bacterial or fungal infection. It's good to know for sure and a picture would help.

Beverly
01-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Had lymphocytis on one of my fish a few years back. Raised the temp 2 degrees F and it slowly went away. HTH :)

Montana
01-20-2007, 01:16 AM
my naso has one white spot about 3mill in diameter above its eye and its bottom lip looks white and deteriorating. it is eating not loosing weight and still its own self. i came to this conclusion through some research on the web. ususally with a bacterial infection the fish is sluggish or losses its appetite and tries to hide.here are some pics.

Johnny Reefer
01-20-2007, 02:39 AM
I had a Blood Parrot Cichlid once that overcame it. Took about 4 months or so, but it did go away. I had it on a Pleco once also.
The best description for lymphocystis that I have come across is that it sort of looks like cauliflower...and it does sort of. But this is FW I'm talking about. I'm not sure if it's different with SW fish.

HTH,

EmilyB
01-20-2007, 05:12 AM
How long have you had the fish ?

Montana
01-20-2007, 02:56 PM
i have had the fish for 2 years now and he has never been sick. i have never had a sick fish in salt water. i havent introduced anything new into my tank either.

Beverly
01-20-2007, 05:57 PM
What's the temp range in your tank?

Montana
01-20-2007, 07:39 PM
78 deg

Beverly
01-20-2007, 09:10 PM
If what your tang has is lymphocytis, crank the temp up to 80 F. This temp isn't too high for your corals or any other living thing in your tank, and it will help the lymphocytis go away.

Montana
01-21-2007, 03:55 PM
thanks i will give it a go