PDA

View Full Version : silicon

JOEL
01-18-2007, 11:34 PM
I am going to reseal an aquarium what kind of silicon should I use?

draco
01-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Aquarium silcon anything else can leach back into your tank

Der_Iron_Chef
01-19-2007, 12:01 AM
As long as it's a non-toxic, 100% silicone sealant, it should be fine. Non?

midgetwaiter
01-19-2007, 12:11 AM
GE 1200 construction silicone is what most tank builders use. You can also try some of the GE Silicone from the hardware store but you need to get the one that doesn't have any mold inhibitors. I don't remember if it is GE I or GE II, definitely not the kitchen and bathroom stuff. Most stores will carry smaller tubes of silicone from All Glass or somebody else, these are usually expensive but the easiest way to go ahead for sure.

muck
01-19-2007, 05:09 AM
GE1200 is nearly impossible for the average joe to find around town.
I've been using a mastercraft brand from Canadian Tire. It says right on the back that it is safe for aquarium use.

fishspun
01-19-2007, 05:34 AM
if i recall correctly from the last time i use any, GE Silicone 2 for windows and doors should be safe. can anyone else confirm?

G1GY
01-19-2007, 06:12 AM
if i recall correctly from the last time i use any, GE Silicone 2 for windows and doors should be safe. can anyone else confirm?

The stuff for windows and doors would have the mold inhibitors or fungicide and would be the stuff to stay away from if I remember right.

fkshiu
01-19-2007, 06:15 AM
GE1200 is THE silicone to use. I searched high and low before tracking a tube down at a GE Polymers office in Coquitlam close to the Home Depot. It's not a retail outlet, just an office and they tossed me a sample tube because that's all they had around! Don't ask me the exact address because I've lost it (sorry).

Anyway, the most common substitute to GE I Window&Door silicone. It smells like vinegar while curing whereas GE II smells like ammonia. GE II adheres better to more materials and is probably OK when fully cured, but the ammonia it gives off while curing is probably bad news in your aquarium.

Avoid GE I Bathroom because it contains mold inhibitors.

GE I is great for glass, but does not adhere as well to plastics and acrylics. GE1200 does and the acrylic baffles in my glass sump all form water-tight compartments as a result.

Chaotic Cricket
01-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Yes GE I Windows and Doors is safe. It is 100% Rubber Silicone. As long as the label doesn't say mildew resistant etc then it is usually okay.

"GE Silicone I Window & Door" Features
* -Indoor/outdoor
* -Watertight
* -Minimal Shrinkage
* -Remains Flexible
* -Strong adhesion to most surfaces: most woods, metals, plastics, glass, vinyl siding and drywall/plaster

"GE Silicone II Window & Door" Features
* -Cured sealant is mold and mildew resistant <-------No No
* -Indoor/Outdoor
* -Will not shrink or crack
* -Weatherproof and watertight seal
* -Applies in all weather conditions
* -UV resistant
* -Outstanding adheres to a broad range of surfaces: wood, masonry, metal, glass, vinyl siding, drywall/plaster and plastic

Aquattro
01-19-2007, 08:54 AM
GE 1200 is stronger, but any 100% silicone without mold inhibitors is fine.

Chaotic Cricket
01-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Agreed.

Just someone above mentioned Ge Silicone II.

Midknight
01-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Get this Rona brand stuff. It has for aqurium use written right on it and instruction for use.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/Midknight3d/Tank%20build%201/Next.jpg

Tarolisol
01-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Ive used GE1200 as well as GE silicone I an II and all work fine with no side effects.

JOEL
01-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the info it sounds like the ge 1200 is the best silicone to use can anyone tell me where to get some?