PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate levels and reactors

BMW Rider
01-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I've noticed a flurry of threads on the denitrators and DIY reactors lately, and it has lead me to wonder why. What kind of nitrate levels are people typically experiencing in their tanks that justifies building these. I have never had high nitrate levels, not sure why, I've done nothing special to control them. Typically, I have less than 2-3 ppm, testing done with a Salfert kit, I can just barely distinguish a slight tint of colour in the solution when viewed through the side of the vial. Looking from the top down, I can't even tell its changed colour at all.

Am I just lucky or is this not unusual?

Delphinus
01-18-2007, 04:29 PM
No, if you do things right, you should have nitrates like that.

Perhaps people overfeed, or overstock, or underskim. Perhaps as rock ages it loses it efficacy unless you can regularly "cook" your rock every few years. Sand gets old.

I can tell you that any tank I've kept my ritteri in has always suffered insanely high nitrate levels and that was the impetus to try a sulfur reactor. I don't know what it is about that anemone because I do not feed it anywhere near as much as I do my other anemones and they do not promote a nitrate buildup in the tanks they are in. In all fairness it may not be the ritteri, it could be coincidence. I don't know what's going on, but I decided I wasn't living with 50-80ppm nitrates any longer.

In my other tank, I feed a little generously, and there are some compounding factors that contribute to a slight nitrate buildup in there as well.
1) I added a copperbanded butterfly in the summer who will not touch any kind of food that's been dried (flakes, pellets or otherwise). So I have to feed frozen foods on a daily basis, or meaty foods like a clam, for his benefit otherwise he starves. But this adds to the bioload of the system.
2) I added a dendrophyllia a few months ago and was shocked at how much food this coral requires.
3) I have gorgonians and I can't help but try to feed them as it's just "way cool" watching them eat.

Nevertheless even with these factors working against me, as long as I keep my skimmer clean, and stick to my monthly water change schedule, I still only get nitrates in the 15-20 range. I'd be happier if they were lower but I'm not worried about it. And I know they would be lower if it wasn't for the basically daily feedings of mysis.

I think though another reason is that a coil denitrator is a cheap and easy thing to try. So a few people have decided to give it a whirl. I think it's an awesome idea for say a FO tank, where people usually pay less attention to the levels. 100ppm NO3 in a FO tank isn't unheard of... so why not throw a $30 piece of equipment on there that helps lower that value.

Anyhow just my $0.02. I'm sure others have their own reasons too. :)

Chaotic Cricket
01-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Maybe they just hear they need them, after all if one person has something don't we all. Not enough personal research into things :) That being said if you need one go to it :)

How is your Sulfur Reactor working anyways?

Midknight
01-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Maybe they just hear they need them, after all if one person has something don't we all. Not enough personal research into things :) That being said if you need one go to it :)

How is your Sulfur Reactor working anyways?

I think that is about right. There are some of us that see a "DIY" thingamagiggy and must build it, even if we don't need it. :wink:

guysmiley
01-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Personally I get as much fun out of setting up equiptment as I do setting up livestock.

I really get a kick out of tinkering with gear.... maybe it's just me.

Garrick.

Chaotic Cricket
01-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Personally I get as much fun out of setting up equiptment as I do setting up livestock.

Garrick.

I like my tank stable then I don't touch it, other than routine maintenance. Every time I add a new piece of equipment the tank has to adjust somewhat. Unless I need it I don't add it. Constant fiddling is not a benefit in my eyes. Don't get me wrong I have my share of equipment, but only after careful weighing of the good and bad. I've seen many people add reactors and dosers and not really know why or what their doing and then cry when they mess up their tanks.

Delphinus
01-18-2007, 07:08 PM
:) I can't quite tell if I'm being poked fun at or not here?

My sulfur reactor hasn't cycled yet, so one could say it's not working yet. I'm trying the sulfur reactor out of exasperation at a problem that just otherwise won't correct itself. If it's not the right thing to do, then time will tell me that, but I thought it was a viable option to try, given that alternate but more conventional means of nitrate control were proving unviable for me. And I went DIY because a consumer version would have been about $500 to purchase which was simply unreasonable, whereas my costs for DIY are less than one-tenth that. I know some people really have a DIY bug and my hat's off to them, I mostly DIY out of economic reasons.

And FWIW I started the sulfur reactor before the surge of people wanting to try coil denitrators came (seems to me that's just the last two weeks or so). Hey if a person wants to try something, let them at it. If we can add to the collective body of experience I think that's a good thing. I've talked to people about denitrators before but those that I've talked, whom have tried it, don't seem to come on here and share their gems of wisdom and experience. So it's up to us instead. :)

I don't see anything wrong in trying new things. But like I said in the thread about complex tank setups, I don't think a person should do *anything* just because someone else is doing it ... a person needs to be convinced, by themselves, that doing something fits a particular and specific purpose.

Reefer Rob
01-18-2007, 07:34 PM
OK, I'm guilty. I see something that some one's made and I can't seem to resist the urge to build it- even if I don't really need it. It's the the little thrill I get from having the damn thing actually work (sometimes). Maybe there's a support group for this. Watching your sulfur denitrator closely Tony :mrgreen:

Chaotic Cricket
01-18-2007, 08:04 PM
:) I can't quite tell if I'm being poked fun at or not here?

My sulfur reactor hasn't cycled yet, so one could say it's not working yet. I'm trying the sulfur reactor out of exasperation at a problem that just otherwise won't correct itself. If it's not the right thing to do, then time will tell me that, but I thought it was a viable option to try, given that alternate but more conventional means of nitrate control were proving unviable for me. And I went DIY because a consumer version would have been about $500 to purchase which was simply unreasonable, whereas my costs for DIY are less than one-tenth that. I know some people really have a DIY bug and my hat's off to them, I mostly DIY out of economic reasons.

And FWIW I started the sulfur reactor before the surge of people wanting to try coil denitrators came (seems to me that's just the last two weeks or so). Hey if a person wants to try something, let them at it. If we can add to the collective body of experience I think that's a good thing. I've talked to people about denitrators before but those that I've talked, whom have tried it, don't seem to come on here and share their gems of wisdom and experience. So it's up to us instead. :)

I don't see anything wrong in trying new things. But like I said in the thread about complex tank setups, I don't think a person should do *anything* just because someone else is doing it ... a person needs to be convinced, by themselves, that doing something fits a particular and specific purpose.

I have a DIY Denitrator and it worked when I needed it, quite well in fact. Got the plans of RC awhile back and doubled the size :) I've never needed sulfur or might have tried it, but after working in a sulfur plant when i was younger even the sulfur smell on strike anywhere matches makes me sick :) Even the word itself makes me cringe a bit. Like i said as well if you need it thengo for it. But to many people see the very well experienced AND the very rich people who have an armada of equipment and think oh to do this i must have all of that to. I have seen many many many tanks that are decidedly "low tech" look much nicer than some of the "i have every gadget on earth" tanks. I also often wonder at some of the tanks with people who have a lot of money how much they "buy" their tank look as opposed to grow it. Anyone can have a nice LOOKING tank if you pour bucketfuls of money in it. Like the Japanese put a coral in till it looks bad then replace it type tank. Real husbandry takes knowledge and well..some gadgetry but mostly knowledge patience and time. I Built a calc reactor because I was lazy in wanting to do it manually, but know i monitor everything more than i used to. I have Carbon reactors, a zeo reactor that i got as a gift and will probably never use. My XP3 modded to the back of my sump works for carbon better than anything i have seen, along with some phosban or rowaphos etc. I too get the DIY bug but I only do it myself if i need to not just cause i want to :)

mark
01-18-2007, 11:48 PM

Garrick.

it's not just you (me too)

BMW Rider
01-19-2007, 02:02 AM
Okay, I was worried that perhaps there was some new knowledge about nitrates that I was missing. I can certainly understand the DIY bug and just wanting to have a go at it. No harm in that. I do have a fairly light bioload, and feed lightly, which likely contributes to my virtually non existant nitrates. I just didn't want to worry about some sort of undetected nitrate buildup polluting my tanks.

Bryan
01-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Ditto for me, almost undetectable Nitrates using a Lamotte test kit, and all I have is a skimmer , liverock and barebottom tank. I actually add some Potassium Nitrate weekly to bring up the nitrates so my macroalgae has a chance to grow.

I've noticed a flurry of threads on the denitrators
and DIY reactors lately, and it has lead me to wonder why. What kind of nitrate levels are people typically experiencing in their tanks that justifies building these. I have never had high nitrate levels, not sure why, I've done nothing special to control them. Typically, I have less than 2-3 ppm, testing done with a Salfert kit, I can just barely distinguish a slight tint of colour in the solution when viewed through the side of the vial. Looking from the top down, I can't even tell its changed colour at all.

Am I just lucky or is this not unusual?