PDA

View Full Version : How many feed their SPS Corals ?

zulu_principle
11-05-2002, 06:07 AM
Just wondering how many people feed their SPS corals, I use cultured rotifers and was wondering if over time anyone sees a difference in growth, etc.

Thanks

Zulu

StirCrazy
11-05-2002, 06:09 AM
I have been using Golden pearls.. I am not sure but I think it helps :lol:

Steve

Canadian Man
11-05-2002, 04:11 PM
I use a mix of DT's and ESV's Sprad dried Plankton.
Mix up the ESV's in a blender for 30 seconds and add the dt's to it and dump it in.

Doug
11-05-2002, 04:41 PM
I feed so much, I guess you coulld say I do. I also use DT.s. I dont have many yet in the new tank, but they seemed to have good polyp extension before. I would imagine my ATS helps with that also.

I know Jayson is a firm believer in feeding his sps. Does not Tyree, feed his also?

Delphinus
11-05-2002, 06:33 PM
I basically hold to the beleif that "if it has a mouth then it eats something."

With that said, what does a person feed SPS. Well as has been mentioned they don't really feed on phytoplankton. They feed on zooplankton. So adding DT's doesn't have a direct impact on SPS. An indirect impact perhaps, because any live zooplankton in the tank will feed on DT's and in turn the corals will feed on the zooplankton.

I follow a regimen similar to Canadian_Man, I feed both DT's and ESV's (ESV's that a blend for about 60 seconds in tank water before adding. Let me tell you does my blender ever smell great!! If you're a coral that is.). We were told by Rob Toonen that ESV's makes an acceptable zooplankton substitute.

But ..... all told ..... my SPS aren't exactly knocking my socks off for colouration. Some are really good, but some are washed out (I have a birdnests that was crimson in Carpentersreef tank, and it is the faintest hue of pink in my tank ... directly underneath an Iwasaki 250W.) I think that that lighting still plays a bigger factor for colours than does feeding. I think feeding does more for growth and overall health. Polyp extension on my SPS, is (as far as I know), seemingly rather good and they appear to be happy healthy corals. But as to whether I can directly correlate that to the SPS feedings though ... I cannot. I "think" I'm being good by feeding my tank this ESV's/Dt's concoction, but I can only base my feeling on theory, not by any visible hard-core results.

Jack
11-05-2002, 08:33 PM
I feed my SPS with DT's and I'm having great results.