PDA

View Full Version : sump-refugium

JOEL
01-17-2007, 11:46 PM
I am going to build a sump- refugium from an old 33 gal tank that I have to set up under my 90 gal tank. I am looking for the best way to build it. Like how high are the baffels, how for apart are the baffels and how big are the compartments on either side of the baffels. Also what is the best way to plumb it and the best lighting for it.

any help would be appreciated

Palster
01-18-2007, 03:34 AM
I have been doing a bunch of research as I am about to build a sump/refugium myself. Try this link http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html He builds his sumps out of acrylic but there is lots of good information including dimensions and how to configure the plumbing.

Chaotic Cricket
01-18-2007, 04:22 AM
I am going to build a sump- refugium from an old 33 gal tank that I have to set up under my 90 gal tank. I am looking for the best way to build it. Like how high are the baffels, how for apart are the baffels and how big are the compartments on either side of the baffels. Also what is the best way to plumb it and the best lighting for it.

any help would be appreciated

Plan everything then build, ie do you want an external pump? what kind of skimmer, in sump or inline. If you use a submersible pump in the sump plan for that. I have special chambers that i have especially for feeding etc. Do you want a large return area a small one? how is the water entering the sump? do you need a bubble trap etc. Plan the sump around your pump and skimmer. Finding room after is a pain, trust me. How much room do you have in the stand for the sump? clearance from sump to bottom of display tank effects skimmers and adding equipment after etc. Lighting is always interesting, it all depends on how you are going to light your refugium, and how big it is.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-18-2007, 05:01 AM
I have the first chamber big enough to hold a micron sock & skimmer. It is separated by a baffle siliconed to the bottom. I then have refugium section in the middle where I store Live sand, extra LR, macro & frags. It is separated from the return pump section by a slightly elevated baffle. This way, the bubbles are caught by the macro & stay near the surface & not much is able to get into the return chamber. Each baffle is 12" high. I have a 4' long sump but I have 16" for my skimmer section; 2' for the refugium/frag tank; 7" for the return pump section. Your refugium will probably be a lot smaller.

Measure everything out ahead of time & plan accordingly.

Anthony

JOEL
01-18-2007, 11:48 PM
So you only have two baffels and is your pump and skimmer in the sump,refugium or out side.