PDA

View Full Version : Detached Pulsing Xenia - problem?

Todd
01-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I had some Pulsing Xenia attached to some LR, and woke up this morning to find that one of the heads had detached from the rock. I am thinking that a mushroom that had recently taken up a home on the rock 'chased it away', but am curious to see what you think. All of the fish and the other corals look healthy. The Xenia hadn't been extending quite as far in the past few days as well. The mushroom had been become detached from the rock that it was on during the move, and was free in the tank after the move and during the night decided to attach near the xenia.

I have moved my tank twice in the past 15 days - once to my new house, and once when we got the furniture all set up, and I knew where I wanted it. The first move was obviously a large one where I bagged everything up, but it was looking fine after both moves, however I changed my aquascaping and also where my main powerhead is, so it may be receiving less flow now.

Here are the specs on my tank:

33 Gallon
~ 30 Pounds of LR
Remora Pro Skimmer
Coralife 2 x 96 watt lighting (Actinics on 9-9, 10 000K on 10-8; bulbs nearing the end of their life)
Zoo Med 300 GPH powerhead
Aquaclear 100 GPH powerhead hidden in rockwork

pH 7.9 (I think, Hagen test kit is unclear for pH)
Ca 380
NO3 <5
NH3 Undetectable
Sg 1.0225
PH4 Undetectable
NO2 0.1

I did a 10 Gallon Water change on the 13th, and then did a 5 Gallon top up with salt water (As I was still low from the move) on the 15th.

Todd
01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Anyone?

MikeP
01-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I've had xenia 'crawl' up rocks to get closer to the lights. Maybe yours just accidently detached himself?

Diana
01-18-2007, 07:47 PM
My coral banded shrimp used to pick off stalks of anthelia and xenia, I would always see them floating around the tank. Once the xenia settles it should attatch itself. If your bulbs are "nearing the end of thier life" I would suggest picking up some new ones cus if you wait too long you can very easily stress everything out on the changeover. Xenia likes lotsa light, if there isnt enough it will get all long and stringy and stop pulsing.

-Diana