PDA

View Full Version : Urchin

TRIX
01-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey all. I would like to get a Urchin. What type would you guys suggest

christyf5
01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Depends what you want it to do. I wanted mine to eat algae. I've had both the tuxedo (Mespilia globulus) and a "colored" urchin (Tripneustes sp). The tuxedo cruises around the tank, eats algae here and there. The colored urchin ate coralline and made a mess (plus he grew huge). Eventually I took him into a LFS for credit as he was getting too big and knocking over corals.

The ultimate urchin (of those that are commonly available) is the longspined urchin (Echinothrix diadema/Diadema setosum). While the spines are sharp and somewhat venomous (to some, not so much to others). They certainly are gorgeous.

Also it would be dependent on your tank size as the diadema urchins get kind of big.

TRIX
01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
would the spines on the urchins be a problem for softies like the open brain. Would they pearce the tissue.

christyf5
01-17-2007, 10:37 PM
I doubt it, even though it doesn't seem so, the tissue is pretty tough (well relatively tough anyways). I think the urchin would have to achieve ramming speed which is unlikely :razz: I don't know what kind of grip they'd get on a soft coral either.

muck
01-17-2007, 11:05 PM
I dunno Christy... those urchins can really motor when they want to. :mrgreen:

fkshiu
01-18-2007, 02:02 AM
I have a blue tux urchin with softies and LPS (incl. bubble and open brain) for several years with no problems. Granted the blue tux doesn't have the longest or pokiest spines you can find on urchins, but I don't see any issues with any other urchins.

AndyL
01-18-2007, 04:51 AM
Kept thinking I should grab some pics of my urchins... But lights just went out - maybe tomorow.

Depends what you're looking for - if you want a true algae eating urchin, definitely look at the diadema's. They can be found VERY small at the stores on occasion (under 2" with spines). Mines doing an amazing job in a badly overgrown 3g, he's roughly 1", all the rock was covered in some kinda nasty hair algae - about a month later, it's still roughly 1/3 covered - but definitely getting much better. He's actually quite graceful moving around the tank, ****es off the zoos trampling them - but no permanent damage.

Personaly I'm not fond of the short spined urchins (tuxedo and that other one), more their habit of decorating themselves with corals :)

I picked up what I think is a Echinometra species (might be E. la****er - rock borer urchin) from howdy last trip to edmonton. Not real usefull for algae control (except coraline) pretty much the typical 'bull in a china shop' type urchin. But he's sure an interesting character in the tank, always fun to see where he is on any particular day, and what he's getting into.

Delphinus
01-18-2007, 05:56 AM
I don't mind the short spined ones. I have a green urchin that just mows down algae like nuts. I'll have to try to get a pic of it. I supposedly have a blue tuxedo but I haven't seen it in ages. I had one before that was awesome at the red fuzzy beard/stubble type algae. I also have one of the rock boring ones but it just sits in its cave mostly and occasionally ventures out but not too far. I hear it could be a scavenger as well as a herbivore.

Anyhow, they're all pretty neat. Be wary that some of them (the colourful ones) are said to have toxic stings, so do you reading. Best practise is to avoid getting stung if you can anyhow. ;)

Here's a diadema (I just posted these pics in another thread but what the hey)..

http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/misc/diadema1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/misc/diadema2.jpg

Beverly
01-19-2007, 01:55 AM
How do you remove them from a tank?

Ruth
01-19-2007, 01:59 AM
How do you remove them from a tank?

I use those plastic kitchen tongs (the ones you use for salads) Works great.:biggrin:

Beverly
01-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Good idea. Thanks, Ruth :)

EmilyB
01-20-2007, 02:30 AM
I've always used a catch cup to keep the urchin pretty much submerged. Some of them can be pretty picky about being exposed to air.

My tuxedo doesn't care, I've picked him up with my hand and moved him from tank to tank several times.

I also have a rock boring urchin who comes out at night mostly....(they mostly come out at night...mostly....:lol: ).

My long spine certainly never punctured any softies, they are very sensitive to feeling what is around them in my observation.