PDA

View Full Version : Calculating the length of tube for DIY Nitrate reactor?

BCOrchidGuy
01-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Okay so I'm intruiged, I looked at them a couple years ago and it seems they are still popular so I'm guessing they are working for people. I have a question though, I've seen lengths of anywhere from 75 feet of line to well over that. Does anyone know of a link etc that would tell me if there is an actual calculation to determine the run of tubing I'd need or is it just by guess and by golly? I can buy a 500 foot roll of airline tubing for a song but I'm assuming that would be way to much, or would it? Would I end up with a killer Denitrator or would it just be a waste of tubing?

Doug

Der_Iron_Chef
01-17-2007, 03:00 AM
Every DIY description I've read says they've used 100 feet of tubing. Don't know if it's a magical number or just an *easy* number. At any rate, might as well stick with what's worked for others, eh?

AndyL
01-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Actually there is a very specific calculation to work out proper length and diameter of tubing... And it's a long one too ;)

google it - it's on one of the older RC coil denitrator threads.

honkey sauce
01-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Try ZEOvit system

Midknight
01-17-2007, 06:15 AM
I can buy a 500 foot roll of airline tubing for a song but I'm assuming that would be way to much, or would it? Would I end up with a killer Denitrator or would it just be a waste of tubing?

Doug

Well if 100 is the magic number that sounds like a song for 5 people.
One I would happily sing with you... if the price is right. :wink:

andresont
01-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Well if 100 is the magic number that sounds like a song for 5 people.
One I would happily sing with you... if the price is right. :wink:

Ha-Ha-ha LOL ! this good reply !

Der_Iron_Chef
01-17-2007, 07:02 AM
lol. Well said, Midknight. :smile:

I did find this: If you use larger diameter tubing, you need more of it. If you double the diameter of your tubing (say, use 1/2" instead of 1/4"), you need three times the length of tubing. I think the idea is that, the more water you want to process, the thicker the tubing you want (which, according to above, also means a greater length of tubing). The fellow on RC who seemed to know what he was talking about recommended about 75' of 1/4" ID tubing for a 75G tank max. I didn't find any special formula to calculate any of this, though!

Also, when you're cycling the unit, you need to adjust the drip rate accordingly. This, copied from an RC thread, in relation to the diameter of tubing and their corresponding drip rates:

for .170 it should be less than 1 to start with
for .250 it should be just over 1 to start with
for .375 it should be just over 1.5 to start with.
for .5 it should be in the 2~3 to start with

These are ESTIMATES, you have to test the output regularly to adjust the flow rate.

BCOrchidGuy
01-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Wow, thanks everyone, it's clear as ummm mud now. I guess those drip rates are drips per second? I read on The Krib that for a 90 gallon tank a 25 foot airline tube was the ticket so... I guess I'll go with 100 feet. Oh btw, the reason you put the tubing inside a dark container area is that you don't want ANY algae growing in there, it's only bacteria that we are after.

Doug