PDA

View Full Version : Remora Skimmer Question

krisalexander
01-17-2007, 01:21 AM
I just picked up a remora it was used, cleaned, and working good but the collection cup has filled up twice in under 5 hours? is there something i can do to fix this also any other pointers with this skimmer would be great thanks...

Kris

G1GY
01-17-2007, 01:35 AM
You can use the rubber band to raise the cup a bit until skimming slows down a bit. :)

Just lift it up.

krisalexander
01-17-2007, 01:56 AM
if i raise it up then the foam and the bubble go to my tank instead of in to the collection cup

deano
01-17-2007, 02:17 AM
It may be due to the way the skimmer was cleaned. The previous owner may have cleaned it with some type of cleaner that is making it foam excessively.

Kabong
01-17-2007, 02:57 AM
Remora's like to be scummy on the inside.
It will overskim for the first few days.
Then it will start slow down and start producing thicker.

Neil
01-17-2007, 03:28 AM
are you using a water conditioner? when i use aqua plus my remora spazzes out with an abundance of foam. If thats the case- switch to Prime water conditioner

krisalexander
01-17-2007, 04:08 AM
I am not finding that there is a lot of foam now, but it is filling up with water there is some *crud* in there floating but not really any brownish skimm material..

I heard there is a trick to have the noise lessen a little bit with some paper towel..??

Kris

G1GY
01-17-2007, 04:12 AM
I am not finding that there is a lot of foam now, but it is filling up with water there is some *crud* in there floating but not really any brownish skimm material..

I heard there is a trick to have the noise lessen a little bit with some paper towel..??

Kris

I wouldn't be shoving any paper towel in there.

Todd
01-17-2007, 04:29 AM
You can quite it down by placing some damp paper towel (I have been using clean cotton strips) over the injection nozzle, under the collection cup. This seems to quite it down (and in my case it performs better). Just remember to replace it every few times you clean the collection cup out.

Neil
01-17-2007, 05:18 AM
the higher you set the collection cup the dryer the skimmate, the lower the wetter.

fkshiu
01-17-2007, 05:32 AM
I've had this skimmer for years and it does need a thin fim of crud to be effective. You are essentially re-breaking-in the skimmer. So wait a few days for it to develop.

The folded paper towel trick is very effective if placed on top of the injector. Just remember to change to towel once every few weeks.

Excessive micro-bubbles can be solved by slipping a piece of filter foam with a slit cut down the middle over the outflow lip. Rotate the foam out every half week or so to prevent nitrate build-up.