PDA

View Full Version : minimize micro bubble from sump

frostiex
01-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi all, it appears I have this problem with my tank.
The return pump in my sump is pumping a lot of micro bubble back to my tank.

The micro bubble is caused by my protine skimmer's water return.
is there anything I can put around my pump to trap the bubbles?

it maks my tank so cloudy...so annoying.

bassman
01-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Is your skimmer in the same chamber of your sump as your return pump?

Der_Iron_Chef
01-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Hey...I think I noticed yesterday that you have a Coralife Super Skimmer, right? I had the same problem, especially since it's hanging on the back of my display tank. I did a few things to reduce microbubbles. I took the foam stuff out of the bubble diffuser and replaced it with a block of high density black foam filter material. I also put a piece of airline tubing on the output air vent and placed the other end of the tube an inch or so below the waterline. Ever since, haven't really had any microbubbles!

My problem is the skimmer overflowing in the middle of the night. I don't get THAT one. Skims well all day and then I come out to a FULL cup of very very light tea-coloured skim in the morning (sometimes pouring down onto my carpet...*sigh*). Have you had problems with this? Any ideas?

frostiex
01-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Yea...I do....however I fixed it by adjusting it with the red dial and has been workign great...

what did you mean by the bubble diffuser? did you mean the little cylindrical thing with 2 things sticking out for you air? (sorry....so hard to describe!!)

tranvictor
01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
You can seperate your skimmer from your return pump using two more baffles. The baffle nearest your skimmer will be attached from the sump bottom. The second baffle (closer to the retrun) should be attached from the top of the sump. That way the bubbly water will have to go over the first baffle and since air is lighter than water the second baffle should catch the bubbles with only water going to the return pump.