PDA

View Full Version : Newbie (well kinda)!

kbd635
01-16-2007, 10:12 AM
OK, I'm not new to marine, but I'm in Scotland just now and have applied to immigrate to Prince George in BC.
My Trigon 350 (with sump) is in storage, so I don't officially have a tank either! :redface:
I'm hoping to move to BC sometime mid this year and I'll be setting my tank back up shortly after.:biggrin:
PG ain't got a lot of choice when it comes to Marine petstores, so I was thinking I might need to go to VA to get 110v hardware, LR, corals and livestock.
Can anyone recommend any stores in BC (closer to PG the better), and are there any members this far up North?
Thanks for your help,
Kenny

Ruth
01-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey welcome to Canreef and good luck on your move. I am about 5 hours further north than you so yes there are some of us crazies even further north. There are a couple of people in PG that have salt tanks although the one fellow that I did know has quit the hobby and I know he had his stuff for sale but cannot recall if he got it sold.
There is one store in PG that carries (or used to anyway) salt. Norwolf Pet Mart on Highway 16W although they do not have a great selection they can probably order in what you need. I also have a bunch of equipment that I might be selling in the next little while so we should keep in touch.
I am from PG and spent most of my life there. My Mom is also from Scotland (Ayre) but she no longer lives in PG.
Good luck with your move and send me a pm closer to when you are going to arrive in BC.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Hey Kenny, welcome to Canreef! Nice looking tank you have/had there.

And good luck with the move!

kbd635
01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks,
The Bow fronted tank is the new one (Jewel Trigon 350) and the other gray based one was a corner tank that I made myself. The base was MDF on 3" x x3" Framing (OH wanted to decorate and it was the wrong colour, so she told me to get a new one! WOOHOO!)
I got the Trigon as I liked the bowfront corner idea and it made all my little frags look HUGE! lol
Sump in the bottom (not bringing with me, as I'll make another over in BC)
I had a good stock, but I want to get better lighting - T8's & T5's in just now - but I'd like to keep a lid on it as OH doesn't like the brightness that open top MH lighting does. Not toooo sure what I'm going to do about that!:neutral:
Anyway, thanks again for the welcomes and I hope to be posting on here for some time to come!
Kenny

Sushiman
01-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Welcome fellow scotch drinker! I used to live up in PG & had a terrible time doing saltwater due to availability issues for both hardware & livestock. I don't know about the livestock now but I know J&L Aquatics will ship anything you want ( www.jlaquatics.com ) & I'm sure livestock would be possible as well on a same day flight. There are several great store here in BC that will ship up North as well. Check this site & it's sponsers & links.
Welcome to the board! I was in Scotland in 1988 backpacking & loved it! The scotch was yummy :)

G1GY
01-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Welcome to Canreef and advance wellcome to Canada. :)

mark
01-17-2007, 02:34 AM
PG well your call :wink: .

Anyway might also consider Edmonton as we are getting a few stores up here and similiar in distance to Vancouver.

Midknight
01-17-2007, 06:00 AM
PG well your call :wink: .

Hey someone has to live there. I am glad it's not me. :lol:
And VAncouver could always use a new face if you find the north to cold. :wink:

kbd635
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Well,
We made it! and now I'm setting up my tank.
It'll probably take a few months as $$ and time allow.
Need to get the electrics done first!
K

Leah
01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Welcome to Canada and Canreef!

Another great guy to deal with is Kelly at the Reef Shoppe if you are interested in ordering stuff. He is awesome to deal with :smilecol: Should mention he is in Lethbridge Alberta. People also do group orders so maybe you could get in on one.
Also you may want to talk to whatcaneyedo

Leah

mark
01-12-2010, 09:07 PM
did you make it to the tour (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56446&highlight=prince+george&page=2)? looks like there's some great tanks in PG

kbd635
01-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Nope! I didn't make it to the tour, but maybe someday......
I've got Whatcanyedo on my list of "goto" guys as I intend to get some of his frags when I'm set up, which seems like a long way away right now!
Thanks for the welcomes.....
K