PDA

View Full Version : Sponge not doing well...with picture

Rippin
01-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Hi all,

I've searched the site and found some info on sponges but I thought I'd post a new thread and list my specific circumstances.

I bought a blue sponge on Saturday and today (Monday) it's turning white!!

1. I did not expose it to air - neither did the fish store.
2. It's in a med-high flow area with a lot of light.
3. The area that is turning white is the frontal area exposed to the water flow.
4. I did a water change and added reef buffer and calcium yesterday - could that have affected it?
5. When I did put the sponge in (with other new corals) my protein skimmer went a bit crazy and was putting a lot of micro bubbles in the water. Could that have done it?
6. Is there any way to recover this sponge? Will it ever get it's colour back?
7. How far should I let it go before it is considered unsafe to leave in the tank?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Obligatory picture:

http://members.shaw.ca/nemod/aquarium/sponge.jpg

Scavenger
01-16-2007, 01:47 AM
About all I know of sponges is I wash the car with them, but perhaps you can find an answer here.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/sponges.htm

Der_Iron_Chef
01-16-2007, 01:52 AM
Trim the necrotic (white) tissue away and see if it recovers. My guess is that it was exposed to air at some point, even if you're not aware of it.

Farrmanchu
01-16-2007, 02:02 AM
The Sponge seems to be growing on an SPS? At least it looks that way, maybe the SPS is making a comeback, and fighting off the Sponge.

1bigstud
01-16-2007, 02:04 AM
Maybe try putting it in an area with less flow as this would decrease exposure to micro bubbles from your skimmer. By the way did you get that from king ed's?? I think I may have been contemplating getting the same one.

Psyire
01-16-2007, 02:10 AM
I had some sponge like this and it loved the dark. (in over hangs and crevices)

Rippin
01-16-2007, 02:16 AM
The Sponge seems to be growing on an SPS? At least it looks that way, maybe the SPS is making a comeback, and fighting off the Sponge.

Yes, the sponge is on some sort of SPS. But the piece of spong was at King Ed's forever and it only started turning white since I got it.

Maybe try putting it in an area with less flow as this would decrease exposure to micro bubbles from your skimmer. By the way did you get that from king ed's?? I think I may have been contemplating getting the same one.

Yup, King Ed's. I was very careful not to expose it to air. I just moved the sponge to a new location but there are few areas in the tank that do not get some type of micro bubbles.

Rippin
01-16-2007, 02:23 AM
I had some sponge like this and it loved the dark. (in over hangs and crevices)

I just repositioned it under an overhang - hopefully less exposure to micro bubbles there and less intense light.

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2007, 02:25 AM
Air (microbubbles too) and light are the enemy of most sponges. As Iron Chef said, I'd cut off the decaying part and move the intact colony to a place with less direct flow, NO microbubbles and away from light. I'm not familiar with blue sponges though so it's just my opinion.

Doug

Rippin
01-16-2007, 05:34 AM
I don't think it's decaying as yet, it's just white - should I still cut it off?

andresont
01-16-2007, 05:54 AM
I don't think it's decaying as yet, it's just white - should I still cut it off?
I would move it away from light slight flow is good ,the white part must be cut of only if it is completely transparent and deep, if this only a tip it might come back. If this is still white in two weeks cut it off, but this may do more damage to a sponge. Just leave it if this thing is small it would not do too much damage to you tank, even if it falls dead. Give it a chance to recover.