PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Units vs DI Only?

Son Of Skyline
11-04-2002, 08:05 PM
Is there a significant benefit to corals and fish in using RO/DI vs a simple DI water filter? I'm trying to see if I can justify the cost of an RO/DI filter vs just keeping my simple DI filter. Will my corals suffer in the long run from not using RO filtration? I haven't had a major algae problem that I can blame on water quality in the 1 year I've been keeping reefs. Thanks in advance :)

StirCrazy
11-04-2002, 09:06 PM
The RO will make your DI last longer... other than that it shopuld be just as good.

Steve

smokinreefer
11-04-2002, 10:49 PM
what are you using now?
a TWP?

if so, i would recommend a ro unit...i just made the switch over and its a cost that you cant really justify until youve paid it. well worth it IMO, wish i had made the investment sooner.

mind you i have a larger need for water than you. i lose 5 gallons of water in 2 days from evaporation alone.

Son Of Skyline
11-04-2002, 10:53 PM
what are you using now?
a TWP?

if so, i would recommend a ro unit...i just made the switch over and its a cost that you cant really justify until youve paid it. well worth it IMO, wish i had made the investment sooner.

mind you i have a larger need for water than you. i lose 5 gallons of water in 2 days from evaporation alone.

Yes, I'm using the TWP right now. I do have a big need for water as well. I lose about 2gal per day to evaporation. It's just that my budget is tight right now and I can budget in one of two things right now...live rock or an RO/DI unit. The tank is still pretty new and it's only got 35lbs of LR in the 120gal tank. I'm trying to figure what I need first and work on the next item in the next couple months. Thanks :)

pocilipora
11-04-2002, 11:11 PM
I did use the TWP but now I just run the RO without the DI. If you need a unit I can lead you in the right direction. 3 stage plus the RO housing for $60 membranes and filters not included.

reefburnaby
11-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Hi,

TWP is fine as long as you use the top off with kalk. If you are planning to use TWP in water changes...then you'll need to be more careful. TWP is really good with the first 50 gallons of water, but it slowly gets worse. The flow rate through TWP is really critical...slower is better.

RO/DIs are a lot better since the flow rate is controlled by a restricter. ROs are good at removing 90% of the bad stuff and the DI removes the remaining 10%. Its nice to have and saltwaterconnections had a sale on some good units. Since you have a TWP (DI), then all you really need is a RO to make a RO/DI.

- Victor.

Son Of Skyline
11-05-2002, 12:03 AM
I did use the TWP but now I just run the RO without the DI. If you need a unit I can lead you in the right direction. 3 stage plus the RO housing for $60 membranes and filters not included.

Interesting! Email me at sonofskyline@hotmail.com :)

I have been using the TWP only for the past year for everything, water changes and topoffs. Everything looks ok now but I'm wondering if I'm missing out by not using RO.

smokinreefer
11-05-2002, 12:43 AM
oh sorry mason...i forgot you have that 120 in the works...yeah you will eventually want to get an ro...might as well get it now.

even though i dont know the prices of the filters/cartridges...60 bux for the setup sounds like a steal of a deal!!