PDA

View Full Version : Running Purigen in a Phosban Reactor

fkshiu
01-15-2007, 06:32 AM
How do you do it?

When I tried to put some Purigen in the reactor, the little white spheres simply fell through the sponge and out of the reaction chamber as soon as I put it in.

How do you get the Purigen to stay in the reaction chamber???

deepRED
01-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Try notching back the flow. Be sure to place the valve after the powerhead and before the reactor so you get a nice slow flow through the reactor.

I've been running 2 reactors daisy-chained together, one with rowa and the second with purigen and it works great.

i have crabs
01-15-2007, 04:14 PM
put it in a filter bag inside the reactor

Patwa
01-15-2007, 05:31 PM
put it in a filter bag inside the reactor

phosban reactors are very popular for one reason.... because they allow for a "fluidized" reaction chamber......imo, putting your media in a bag and then placing it in the chamber prevents it from becoming properly fluidized, if at all (rendering it sorta useless)......might as well put it into into a one of those crappy fluval hang on back filters

a better workaround, imo, is to use filter floss.....or take a 100 micron filter sock and cut yourself new sponges to replace the factory ones that come with the phosban reactor....the purigen particles can't get through......but the particles are still free floating/suspended....problem solved.

Zach

BMW Rider
01-15-2007, 07:00 PM
I use a piece of filter floss in mine too. Works better than the foam for keeping the fine media in. You do need to reduce the flow though still to keep the media so that it is just lightly fluidized.