PDA

View Full Version : Mantis shrimp?

ed99
01-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Folks,

I found this guy with my live rock. Fortunately he was strutting around on a rock at the top of my tank when I noticed him and I was able to get him in the sump. I think it is a mantis. Can anybody confirm and id? I'm guessing maybe a G. Smithii but I have no real idea. My pictures are not great. He is green with yellow spots with kind of a black outline to the spots

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/IMGP1542.JPG

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/IMGP1548.JPG

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/IMGP1540.JPG

i have crabs
01-14-2007, 11:02 PM
nice find.are you keeping him or his he looking for a new home?

Moogled
01-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Heh, at least give the guy a chance to get some answers before you start asking if he's gonna keep it or give/sell to someone else.

G1GY
01-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Yes it is a mantis and you're lucky that you caught it so easy.

There seems to be a huge demand for thes little guy's right now, so if you decide to get rid of it I'll bet someone will trade you something neat for it. :)

TNTCanada
01-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Yes... Mantis he is... love them.. cool little critters to watch.

Cheers
Tyler

i have crabs
01-14-2007, 11:57 PM
calm down pal, i dont want it anyway,thier just cool pets and mabey ed99 should consider keeping it

ed99
01-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure Moogled was joking there, but I think i will offer him up for trade. They are pretty cool but I don't have anywhere for him except my sump.

justinl
01-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Im 90% sure that the lil guy you found is a Gonodactylellus viridis (aka green mantis). Try to get a picture of his front arm appendages; they have a spot on them that helps in identification. Where the live rock is from helps too.

here's more on him...
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=g_viridis

Moogled
01-15-2007, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I was joking. I'll "calm down" just for you though, so you can stop projecting on me.

In anycase, you can keep the little guy in the sump for now. They have alot of personality, but if you do keep him in the sump, make sure to provide a piece of small LR.

In terms of monetary value, these bad boys are worth around $20-$30.

ed99
01-15-2007, 04:41 AM
Thanks justinl/Moogled. I had cruised the Berkeley site but gave up before I went through all the types. Looks like G. Viridis to me as well, though I will try to have another look at the appendages. I didn't know what these guys were worth- hopefully I can get a good frag or a fish for him. I've got a chunk of LR and the PVC in there so he should be good until I can find him a home.

untamed
01-15-2007, 05:40 AM
I'm glad you aren't just killing him. This hobby is changing for the better...I would trade you for him, but being in Vancouver, it would be difficult.

justinl
01-18-2007, 01:19 AM
personally I honestly think 20$ is as much as I would pay for one o these guys. 25$ is pushing it. G. viridis isnt the most active or colorful available.

untamed, I agree to the fullest! I thought it was kinda sad and ignorant that so many people used to (not that some still don't) consider these guys as pests and just kill em. Do a lil research and you'll see why I have such respect for them.

hey no problemo ed99. It's actually kinda funny, that website isn't nearly a full list of all mantises... there are really about 400 species around. Try browsing through that mother list to get an ID!

MobyDick
01-20-2007, 09:01 PM
I had a Lysiosquillina maculata but he died in the summer heat:<.i still have him chillin out in the freezer cause i could say goodbye..lol..jk..but he is in the freezer.

justinl
01-21-2007, 12:26 AM
dead mantis eh? that sucks. that species is a spearer right?
anyways since you still got it around you might like to know that they are edible. in fact mantises make a popular cantonese dish known as shako which means "****ing shrimp" because they urinate when they were thrown in the pot live... so eventually they figured out that they had to stab em first to empty the bowels, then cook em. just an idea... you know, completing the circle of life :biggrin: