PDA

View Full Version : 5.5g Nano and heater issues

andsoitgoes
01-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi all - Prior to the most recent BC cold snap, my nano had no problems staying heated nicely 24/7 - if anything, I'd have to worry from time to time about it getting a little too hot.

Of course that's no longer an issue and during the evening time, I struggle to keep it warm. I took the heater out of the tank because it was just making it way, way too hot (pushing 82+ even at a 75 setting on the heater) but I don't want any more wild temp swings during the evening, so my goal is to put it back in and set it alongside my moonlight timer so that they come on together.

Any tips on this? It's a tiny 50w heater which is overkill for this tank, as was proven - but will having it on the timer likely help? Should I be looking for a mini 25w heater?

Frustrated and confused, hope I can find some help - and of course, testing will commence over the evening hours tonight.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

dolphinpoint
01-14-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure why you are having problems. Maybe it is the brand of heater you have. I have a 50w tronic which is on a 2.5 gall. Red Sea Nano and it is keeping the temp. constant with no fluctuations.

Deathstar
01-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I had the same problem, I now have my heater on a timmer and it only comes on at night when the lights are off.

Eric

G1GY
01-14-2007, 09:35 PM
The heater will only come on when the temp drops below a level that you set.

Where is the problem? (Thermostaticly controlled.)

If it get's too warm............ Turn down the thermostat on the heater a bit and remember to try and keep it in a high flow area.

andsoitgoes
01-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Gary - the strange thing is that's not the case at all - I had it down to 75 last night, by the time I checked my tank this morning, it was at 83.7 - Not makin' me happy! I have it positioned right under the outflow of my HOB filter, too.

*Dolphinpoint - does your house temp flucuate at all though? I know mine does from time to time, but maybe I need to look at getting a tronic. What model is yours?

I'm really not sure what to do, normally I'm not up late enough to see how much of a hit the temp is going to take.

I've got a Hydor/AllGlass mini 50w heater in there, I've had a lot of luck with the brand before, but I wonder what the heck is going on now. I don't want to fry my corals overnight, not sure what's better - freezing, or frying? UGH!

Thanks again all

Midknight
01-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Gary - the strange thing is that's not the case at all - I had it down to 75 last night, by the time I checked my tank this morning, it was at 83.7 - Not makin' me happy! I have it positioned right under the outflow of my HOB filter, too.

Ok, this could be your problem right here. If the heater is right under the outflow it will be cooled off but the water flow. This will force it to work harder and heat the tank more.
Try moving it near the intake of the filter that way the warm water is drawn into the filter. This should bring the temp down.
Or if you have the room try the heater inside the filter. That is where I have all of mine.

Dan

andsoitgoes
01-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Ok, this could be your problem right here. If the heater is right under the outflow it will be cooled off but the water flow. This will force it to work harder and heat the tank more.
Try moving it near the intake of the filter that way the warm water is drawn into the filter. This should bring the temp down.
Or if you have the room try the heater inside the filter. That is where I have all of mine.

Dan

that's what I was going to do once I upgraded the filter to an AC unit, more room and it'll fit nicely.

The funny thing is I did the same on my 44g and I still had the heater running when it was above the set temp - and prior to this, I had the heater far to the left, away from the outflow and near the intake of my powerhead...

Questions, questions!

andresont
01-16-2007, 10:39 AM
It could be just a heater issue, just get another one in there.
I have 300W(!) on my 6 gal nano and temp is very stable at 24C.
I did not have a heater in there so when temp outside dropped i just used what was avaliable from my old tank.

G1GY
01-16-2007, 11:32 PM

Dan

:lol:

Outflow or inflow makes no differance. The heater needs to be placed in an area where water will move across it to ensure uniform heating of the water.

Having the heater under the outflow isn't going to make it stay on any longer than if you place it beside the intake. Again, all that matters is that water flows past the heater.

If this doesn't work, it's quite likely you have a dud heater.

:)

andsoitgoes
01-16-2007, 11:34 PM
It could be just a heater issue, just get another one in there.
I have 300W(!) on my 6 gal nano and temp is very stable at 24C.
I did not have a heater in there so when temp outside dropped i just used what was avaliable from my old tank.

HOLY CRAP.

Hrm - That's surprising, but maybe that's the joy of the "mini" heaters. It's such a nice heater though. Sigh. Guess it's going back to the store!

andresont
01-16-2007, 11:47 PM
HOLY CRAP.

Hrm - That's surprising, but maybe that's the joy of the "mini" heaters. It's such a nice heater though. Sigh. Guess it's going back to the store!
Yep, and this thing is so big i could hardly fit it inside diagonally across the whole tank.

Chaloupa
01-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Hey Nick-I have a 25w heater in my 2.5 gallon and have no heat issues (yet...just wait until summer I am sure) I would be inclined to think you do have a bad heater....it can and does happen often it seems. I had a larger heater in there but didn't like the way it looked as it wouldn't fit in the AC filter