PDA

View Full Version : Sigh ... We don't see them like this up here!

Delphinus
01-14-2007, 08:15 PM
"Diver's Den" at LiveAquaria.com pics:

http://liveaquaria.com/images/diversden/approved/011207-180A.jpg

http://liveaquaria.com/images/diversden/approved/011207-3380a.jpg

Although at the prices they're offered at, it's probably just as well I couldn't order them and have them sent north of the 49th parallel. $300 for the purple gigantea, $900 for the red haddoni. Ouch.

Chaloupa
01-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Drool!

Ruth
01-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Oh man I would love that Red Haddoni

Beverly
01-14-2007, 09:47 PM
WOW!! Am I glad they don't sell those things at the lfs around here. I'd have to set up another tank!

Der_Iron_Chef
01-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Wooow. So tell me: why don't/can't we get pieces like that up here?

Chaotic Cricket
01-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Wooow. So tell me: why don't/can't we get pieces like that up here?

We are a long way from warm oceans ?

Tarolisol
01-15-2007, 12:58 AM
We are a long way from warm oceans ?

Not as big of market at the USA.

Chaotic Cricket
01-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Not as big of market at the USA.

I know of several places in the usa that ship here though, but its a hassle. But I guess you are spot on with the market not being as big. But i found in the states (I have several relatives in various states in the US) the ones closer to florida or california seem to get the better quality corals/fish also the rarer ones. One of my uncles in northern vermont has less access than we do, except for shipping that is, but things seem to not make it when shipped to him.

AndyL
01-15-2007, 01:13 AM
Chaotic - please share which vendors ship live goods to canada... As that seems to be an urban legend - none have ever been willing to deal with the cites permits that I've ever found.

Chaotic Cricket
01-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Chaotic - please share which vendors ship live goods to canada... As that seems to be an urban legend - none have ever been willing to deal with the cites permits that I've ever found.

They are all friends of the family. I can ask them if they will ship to others. I will get back to you.

Delphinus
01-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Any place I've ever looked at has it somewhere listed on their site, i.e., no international orders. I think the only place they're shipping to outside of the lower 48 is Alaska. Hawaiians are even out of luck.

With carpets up here it's hit and miss. I occasionally saw reddish haddoni's for example at Big Al's, the last one I ever saw there was about $90. $90! I wish I bought that thing now.

I think red carpets are the the new roses. It wasn't that long ago there was nothing available and you had to shell out $300 for one. Luckily those days are past.

The sad thing is I probably would shell out massive amounts of $$$ to get one up here. :neutral:

Chin_Lee
01-15-2007, 03:30 AM
The sad thing is I probably would shell out massive amounts of $$$ to get one up here. :neutral:
well Tony, i think you say it best with your signature.
My next hobby will be flooding my basement while repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall and tearing up $100 bills. Whee!

danny zubot
01-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Ya but there was a time when RTBA's were rare up here too. Now they're a dime a dozen. Granted these anemone's probably don't propagate as readily as RBTA's, but one day they will arrive, one day.

OCDP
01-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Ya but there was a time when RTBA's were rare up here too. Now they're a dime a dozen. Granted these anemone's probably don't propagate as readily as RBTA's, but one day they will arrive, one day.

Meh, RBTA's aren't neccessarily dime a dozen, but yes much more available than they used to be. Still damn hard to find a good RBTA in Calgary though (In an LFS)

Sure are nice carpets.

Joe Reefer
01-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I would give my left (you know what) for a red one like that............and old lefty is my favorite.:mrgreen:

briansmyth
01-16-2007, 02:09 AM
I, too, am interested in knowing who ships live goos to Canada from the States - I do try to buy as much as I can locally or regionally, but a customs broker might have the answers about who and what one can order ... along with feedback from your family friends,of course.

Looking forward to your reply.