PDA

View Full Version : Reef tank goals for 2007?

albert_dao
01-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Okay, so I was talking to a friend of mine and we got to talking about New Year's Resolutions (can you tell I'm not too keen on talking with this friend? LOL). Anyway, long story short, I told her my biggest resolution was to actually get my tank set up. Everything else was Mickey Mouse. Really.

I've been gathering equipment for the last... Oh, I dunno, half a millenia - give or tank - and it's still not done. It's not that I'm procastinating, it's that I'm waiting on my damn tank. Working at a store has it's downsides, you get everything last :(

Yadda, yadda, does anyone else here have any specific goals for their reef tanks this year? Perhaps some upgrades, livestock, moves, changes in direction, Aiptasia to nuke?

Go nuts!

G1GY
01-14-2007, 07:10 AM
My goal is to start maintaining my tank better.

I'm starting next week. :)

albert_dao
01-14-2007, 07:15 AM
My goal is to start maintaining my tank better.

I'm starting next week. :)

You have a saltwater tank Gary? I thought you only kept guppies and fancy goldfish? You know, "cute" stuff?

G1GY
01-14-2007, 07:18 AM
You have a saltwater tank Gary? I thought you only kept guppies and fancy goldfish? You know, "cute" stuff?

I think I know where this is going! :(

niloc16
01-14-2007, 09:58 AM
to get my calcium reactor running and find somewhere that i can get some insane pieces of sps. i read and study any info i can get on care of sps and attack the LFS for info. but the worst thing i've found about living in canada is that the really crazy pieces, you cant get. places will not ship up here. and when the pieces do arrive to a store up here, if you are not helping unpack the boxes the corals are sold.

another goal is to figure out the WLAN on the profilux

i would like to turn my 900 sq/ft of unfinished basement into a saltwater tank, but still trying to convince the wife.

Doug
01-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Get my livestock out of Rubbermaid look down aquariums into an actual tank. :mrgreen:

Farrmanchu
01-14-2007, 03:43 PM
My reef has been running for just over 6 months, and I've been keeping SW for just under 1 year. I have finally got all my rock in place where I want it, most Corals in final placement. I plan on encouraging SPS and Clam growth via Kalk drip, as I've finally got the hang of Alk/Ca. I also need to build a canopy, but I plan to have that done within a month or two (yeah right, I said that 4 months ago).

Delphinus
01-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Although this was my goal for 2005 and 2006, mine this year is to get my 280 going. I know how you feel about gathering equipment since the last millenia. In my case it's not actually an exagerration.

Time and better organizational skills maybe.

Everything else, reef-tank-goal-wise else that is, is as you put it, pretty Mickey Mouse. I want my basement developed and the walls up and then I can put water in that stupid thing. I had hoped that December would be my month with some time off in there but family plans changed that.

Skimmer Juice
01-14-2007, 05:26 PM
My resolution is to get rid of atleast one tank. I want to build a 300 for my mappa and move my cowfish in with him cause he is starting to get huge, I thought a 120 would be good for a cowfish I was wrong. Then I want a metal halide so I can start fraging my corals instead of just keeping them.The cowfish is starting to become non reef safe now that she is getting big she is into everything.

Chin_Lee
01-14-2007, 05:29 PM
1) to follow through with a disaster plan and get a generator in case i lose electricity
2) to organize my fish room..... i like messs but even I roll my own eyes at the mess in my fish room
3) to finish making my kalk reactor and plumb it into my auto-topoff.
4) to stop buying things because its "a good deal"

andestang
01-14-2007, 06:12 PM
To finish restocking my 150g. I've also been gathering equipment to have a better running setup, so to get all these things up and running. And like Chin get a disaster plan set up.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I have a sumpless 55G tank right now, and it drives me mad. My goal is to somehow build a new stand and canopy (I have zero DIY skills) and incorporate a sump into my set-up.

I also want to learn more about the actual chemistry of reefkeeping. It seems insanely over my head, but I'd like to give it a shot.

BMW Rider
01-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I want to get my big tank back into better shape, the sps have not done well recently. I also want to clean up the plumbing mess and replace the sump/refugium with one that is easier to access and will hold a bit more water (still trying to figure out a good design for the limited space available). My small tank will be getting moved later this year when we repaint the house. I just want it to survive that and look as good as it does now.

DanG
01-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Upgrade from my 40 to a 70 or possibly 90.

AndyL
01-14-2007, 07:00 PM
My goal for 07 - is to finally get the new frag system up and running. Tanks have been here for friggin months, stand - hopefully soon, pumps and much of the bits n peices are already here... Just need Stand / final assembly / plumbing - and probably gotta start building those DIY tunze-esque waveboxes.

Then comes the fun of stocking em :) I have a feeling those Left-coasters are gonna see more of me than they want :lol:

i have crabs
01-14-2007, 07:15 PM
im gonna start using my qt as a qt instead of another 67g fish only tank

ok im also gonna set up a 300g for all my big fish and fix up my coral tank a bit

Beverly
01-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I have no lofty reefing goals. I just want to continue working with our sumpless, skimmerless, BB 120g. Over the last year, I've added more sps corals than I've ever kept before. All are doing well, which I attribute to keeping a very close eye on alk, Ca and Mg. I'm going to keep up the good work and pat myself on the back every once in awhile :)