PDA

View Full Version : Coil Denitrator?

Der_Iron_Chef
01-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Anyone using a DIY coil denitrator? Success? Thoughts? Ideas? Total waste of time?

cav~firez22
01-14-2007, 03:40 PM
If any success, any plans onhow to make a DIY DENITRATOR?

i need some type of DENITRATOR PDQ.. :)

Der_Iron_Chef
01-14-2007, 04:03 PM
I was looking here (http://2hot2cool.com/4/afishianado/afishian.htm) and here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1014664&highlight=pvc+glue). Seems pretty straight forward and possibly quite effective?

Der_Iron_Chef
01-15-2007, 04:49 AM
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?....Bueller?....Bueller?....

Osiris
01-15-2007, 05:56 AM
I built one useing my old Fluval 403. Works great, my nitrates have been 0 ever since it broke in. :) Used irrigation drip line. Got 100 feet into it. Set it to 2 drips a second. So i guess you could say I believe it is a good idea.

Delphinus
01-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi Osiris,

Did you use the 403 to power the drip or did you use something else?

How long did it take to cycle in?

Running it on your FW or SW tank?

Der_Iron_Chef
01-15-2007, 05:48 PM
How would a Fluval create such a slow drip? In my research, most simply use a small powerhead and a ball valve before the input fitting to control the drip rate (like the Kent Marine reverse osmosis ball valves, etc.)

Delphinus
01-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Doesn't the Fluval itself have a powerhead? So a valve on the input or output might work? That's mostly why I was asking the question though, just curious how the flow was handled, if it was the built-in powerhead or whether that just sits idle and an external powerhead is used.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Ok, Tony. Gotcha. My understanding is that you never want to restrict the input of a powerhead, but that you can restrict the output. As such, I guess a ball valve on the output INSIDE the Fluval would be the only way I can imagine? I don't know! Interesting question.

Doesn't the Fluval itself have a powerhead? So a valve on the input or output might work? That's mostly why I was asking the question though, just curious how the flow was handled, if it was the built-in powerhead or whether that just sits idle and an external powerhead is used.

danny zubot
01-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Albert had one set up at Gold's a while ago, not sure if it's still there. Very simple design. It just used 1/4" line coiled around 3-4" ABS pipe as many times as would fit. Fed by a small pump and controlled by a valve.

If you are reading Albert, tell us how well your design works.

Osiris
01-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi Osiris,

Did you use the 403 to power the drip or did you use something else?

How long did it take to cycle in?

Running it on your FW or SW tank?

I use just use a siphon with an irrigation valve to control the driprate. Took about 4 weeks to fully cycle then the nitrates dropped like a rock. I have this on my SW. For the hose going in and out, I drilled through the top then using a torch I warmed up the factory hose connections and sealed them off.

cav~firez22
01-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Yes someone please post results. and materials w/instructions :)

How would one of these work on a system without a sump??

I do need a de nitrate of some sort as mine are always @ 40 - 100 thats with 20% h20 changes every 2 - 4 days.

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Don't forget, for a drip rate you can always use irrigation drippers sold at Home Depot or Rona to name just two sources. You can get 1/2 gallon per hour, 1 Gph or 2 Gph drippers. I used them on a homemade Ca reactor and just made sure I changed them often. They're cheap so no big deal.

Doug

PS I would think a Fluvel would be great as a housing for the coiled lines, input from the tank/sump and output into the sump at a controlled rate. Coils are supposed to be kept in the dark if I remember right so the fluvel would work well.

Osiris
01-16-2007, 03:47 AM
PS I would think a Fluvel would be great as a housing for the coiled lines, input from the tank/sump and output into the sump at a controlled rate. Coils are supposed to be kept in the dark if I remember right so the fluvel would work well.
I dont know about the light thing but it's true the 403 is a dark smoked grey.

Wayne

andresont
01-16-2007, 05:48 AM
Yes someone please post results. and materials w/instructions :)

How would one of these work on a system without a sump??

I do need a de nitrate of some sort as mine are always @ 40 - 100 thats with 20% h20 changes every 2 - 4 days.

Yes please i would like to know too if the tank has nosump how would you get your Fluval to a controlled drip rate without pressurizing the unit also can this coil Denitrator be combined with Sulphur Denitrator? Just wondering?

howdy20012002
01-16-2007, 08:17 PM
I posted a design I came up with.
check out
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=230545#post230545

hope this helps
thanks
Neal

Paverdude
01-18-2007, 02:37 PM
wow finaly a new use for all those bio balls i ordered from the states all those years ago.