PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe plastic glue

ed99
01-13-2007, 08:36 PM
I finally found the 50 gal tub I was looking for to make large batches of salt water and still fit under my tank stand. The only problem is that there are four 1/2 cm holes in the bottom for some wheels. I tried to fill the holes with silicone but I couldn't get a water tight seal. Anybody have a suggestion on what else I could try?

Thanks,

Ed

Dyspnea
01-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Make the holes bigger and use some cheap bulkheads and use fittings to seal them

ed99
01-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Make the holes bigger and use some cheap bulkheads and use fittings to seal them

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it won't work. The holes are right on the corner as well as a ridge around the bottom. There isn't room for a bulkhead and gasket.

Tarolisol
01-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Marine Goop should work just use lots of it.

ed99
01-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Marine Goop should work just use lots of it.

Will I find this at a LFS, or elsewhere?

Thanks,

Ed

AndyL
01-13-2007, 11:12 PM
walmart home despots rona...

skylord
01-14-2007, 02:03 AM
Just glue or silicone would scare me. I would try to get some nylon screws or bolts and nuts, then use silicone or glue with them. I have seen the screws, bolts and nuts at a few hardware stores but you can almost be sure to find them at a radio control hobby store that has RC Airplanes. Great Hobbies comes to mind......

Scott

ed99
01-14-2007, 05:35 AM
Thanks all. I'll go have a look for the stuff tomorrow.

The holes are pretty small so I may get away without a bolt or other plug, but I agree that it is worth trying to find something. I'm hydrotesting it first and have a concrete floor to work with so I've been willing to trial and error.

Bryan
01-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Ditto on the Marine Goop, great stuff, It 's kinda between a hard epoxy and a silicone so it allows for some flexing.

Chin_Lee
01-14-2007, 05:34 PM
i would use caution trying to waterproof these plastic tubs. you may be able to seal the hole without any water inside the tubs but when you add water, i find the bottoms of these tubs seems to warp as it molds to the weight of the water inside the tub. They were not really made to hold water but they do. However you may find that as the bottoms warp under the weight of the water, your watertight marine goop seal may not be so watertight after all which means you may have 50g on your floor if the seal breaks .......... when you are not around.

AndyL
01-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Have to agree with chin lee on that one - forgot you were trying to do this with one of the wheeled versions. Save yourself the headache, grab one of the rubbermaid brute garbage cans... I've got a 35g one I've been using for almost 2 years now.

ed99
01-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Yep, good point. The area is pretty solid though so I think I will still give it a try and test it with some freshwater first on a concrete floor. If it leaks I will go with the garbage bin. This tub fits nicely under the tank so it is my preferred route if it works.

Thanks,

Ed