PDA

View Full Version : FOWLR plan, will it work?

Dresden
11-04-2002, 08:06 AM
110 gallon =( 42" X 22" X 29

due to my love of the lunar wrasse and niger fish, yet I would love to experience a clown with his coral or anenome.

introduce first torch coral and cinnamon clown, and maybe another 2 aggressive coral/clown combo. Prob one would be a pair. Then introduce the niger trigger, and last the lunar wrasse.

Whats the likelyhood the clowns will be able to defend their homes from the wrasse? I figure they would be succussful against the niger, but i know the wrasse is a sneaky character. Also was planing for a low base start for the coral, thinking this would give them better protection and the base would always be safe. Gonna keep higher crush coral/shells base for better hermits protectoin and small sand area, will be keeping spaced live rock with enough space between to fit hermits but no niger or wrasse to keep them better protected. Plus limits wrasse's effect on sand ecology, having only 1/4th of the tank sand being rock free.

Would love any opinions on this plan, very new. Pretty tired hope this makes sense, thanx.

Dresden
11-04-2002, 09:16 AM
also would anyone have a good home for a lunar wrasse in case i find the courage to part with it?(I actually suspect its sunset or yellow moon wrasse)

Aquattro
11-04-2002, 02:10 PM
IF the clown accepts the torch as a host, the torch will eventually become stressed and likely not open. You'll need a very large torch to be able to withstand a clown for any length of time.
Last time I had a clown and a niger together, the clown was killed.
How big is this NIger? After about 5 inches, it will eat your hermits. The wrasse may also enjoy hermits if it is big enough.
You probably have to decide whether you want a predator tank or a reef; you can't have both, at least not in the long run.

kris
11-04-2002, 03:07 PM
is it possible to keep these fish with any corals? has any one had any luck in that area?

Aquattro
11-04-2002, 04:21 PM
Kris, if you mean the Niger then yes. Although mine was only about 4 inches when it went to a FO home. It would occaisionally nip at my hammer, but didn't do much damage. The problem is they will eat anything else in the tank. This includes hermits, snails, shrimp, fish small enough to bite, worms and anything else that moves. I once bought a chunk of rock that was infested with fiddler crabs...they were all eaten in less than a week. Years ago I had a smallish lunar wrasse, and I recall it behaved the same.
If you must have a trigger in a "reef" style setup, the Niger is probably the best choice. BUT....as it grows the chances of having problems with it will increase. I don't believe in the long run you would consider it a successful endeavor.
And, if a trigger decides to go "mean", it could clean your tank out in one day while you're at work.
Remember though, that each fish can have it's own personality, so YMMV

Dresden
11-04-2002, 05:57 PM
thanx, then i definatly have a lunar wrasse looking for a good FO or FOWLR home.

wrasse is almost 4-5 inches
niger trigger is 4 inches