PDA

View Full Version : So mch for my Rowaphos

Chaotic Cricket
01-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Seems their gone :(
http://www.rowausa.com

TRS
01-12-2007, 02:04 PM
What is everyone else using as a good alternative?

kwirky
01-12-2007, 02:46 PM
phosban is pretty much the same thing, i heard. and i heard it requires a smaller reactor (the phosban reactors many of us use)

dirtyreefer
01-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Is RowaUSA the only distributor for Rowa products in NA? Rowa is made by D&D (Deltec) which also supplies Rowa products, so I'm not sure if that impacts all Rowa products in NA or just from that supplier.

Der_Iron_Chef
01-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Using PHOSaR with similar results.

christyf5
01-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Is RowaUSA the only distributor for Rowa products in NA? Rowa is made by D&D (Deltec) which also supplies Rowa products, so I'm not sure if that impacts all Rowa products in NA or just from that supplier.

Thats what I was thinking. I'm sure it will continue to be available, just not from that particular supplier.

IMO, phosban gets the job done for me. Both products function more efficiently in a reactor. I found that the rowaphos stripped the water of phosphates in a matter of hours which shocked my SPS and several RTNed immediately (of course I immediately discontinued treatment). Phosban is supposed to work a bit slower and take a few days to get the phosphate levels down. I've never had a sensitive enough test kit to actually measure phosphate in my tank (its all tied up in caulerpa) so really its being more used to keep me happy than anything else :razz:

Whats the PHOSaR stuff??

Der_Iron_Chef
01-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Christy--PHOSaR is another phosphate-binding media, created by Warner Marine. I read on RC that it's apparently better (due to its physical construction), so I decided to give it a try.

Look here (http://www.warnermarine.com/Product17-PHOSaR.html). :smile:

Chaotic Cricket
01-12-2007, 04:08 PM

I just got a really good deal direct from them thats all. I have and continue to use various media in different reactors. Rowaphos just happens to be one of the better ones. Not the best mind you, but the price/performance ratio was perfect. I guess I was a little sparse in my message :(

christyf5
01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Christy--PHOSaR is another phosphate-binding media, created by Warner Marine. I read on RC that it's apparently better (due to its physical construction), so I decided to give it a try.

Thanks! I'll have to see if I can find some of that around here :biggrin:

dirtyreefer
01-12-2007, 06:29 PM

I have heard of this stuff before, I believe it is more "pelleted" sized (instead of coffee ground size Rowa is) so it is easier to handle. Might be worth a try.

trilinearmipmap
01-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Is there a Candian supplier of PhosAR?

Pescador
01-12-2007, 08:17 PM
You should be able to get it from anyone who handles Warner Marine Products.

Psyire
01-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Polyplab released a rechargeable Phosphate binder just a little while ago, anybody try it yet?

http://www.polyplab.com/

Funky_Fish14
01-13-2007, 04:37 AM
Too bad to hear about that! I hope the product will still be available from another distributor?

That OptiPhos looks really promising! I wonder if it has the same removal capacity/rate of other types of phosphate removal media before it is used?

Chris

BMW Rider
01-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Polyplab released a rechargeable Phosphate binder just a little while ago, anybody try it yet?

http://www.polyplab.com/

Just put it in my phosban reactor yesterday, I'll keep you posted as to the success. So far thoguh I like it better than the Rowaphos I was using. Much less messy to work with. The Rowaphos always makes such a horrible mess, and it took a lot of rinsing to clean up. I had trouble with it hardening up into a solid mass in the reactor after a couple of weeks too. The Opti-phos hardly took any rinsing to start, and I like the fact that it can be re-charged multiple times.

OCDP
01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Used Phosar in my tank, didn't seem to do much. Using Rowaphos after 3 days I can see very slight improvement. I used phosar for about 3 weeks...

I was curious abuot the polyp lab stuff as well.

canadawest
02-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Any update on the Opti-Phos?

I am having a hair algae outbreak and want to nip the phosphates in the bud this week! I had hair algae so bad in my last tank I finally gave up and tore that sucker down. I don't want to see the same end in my new tank a year later!

Anyway, enough about me.... What has been your experience so far with Opti-Phos, specifically compared to the Rowaphos? Have you attempted to re-charge it yet? Have you noticed one or the other being more efficient in removing phosphates?

Just put it in my phosban reactor yesterday, I'll keep you posted as to the success. So far thoguh I like it better than the Rowaphos I was using. Much less messy to work with. The Rowaphos always makes such a horrible mess, and it took a lot of rinsing to clean up. I had trouble with it hardening up into a solid mass in the reactor after a couple of weeks too. The Opti-phos hardly took any rinsing to start, and I like the fact that it can be re-charged multiple times.

surgeonfish
02-20-2007, 05:21 AM
Drew or Scott - is there anyone in Calgary supplying PHOSaR?

Just to add to the confusion, has anyone tried this new product UltraPower Phos - Iron Based Phosphate and Silicate Absorber (1000ml) ($45.99)? Just saw it yesterday on one of the LFS websites.