PDA

View Full Version : asm skimmer

fishguyxd
01-12-2007, 02:04 AM
Hey i am new to the skimmers here I have an insump G2 model (plug and play they say.) I have read the links and it all over the place.

Is there any special place I should be placing this unit in the sump or any thing I should do prior to install ?( the So how do I adjust etc this thing by the adjustable pipe (sorry if these are goofy ?'s just want to get it right) I have not pluged any thing in yet(pump)

mark
01-12-2007, 03:31 AM
I've got the G3, did the recir and gate valve mods but don't think they're really that necessary, as had good performance prior.

Main thing is you want the water level constant so place in the sump section where water level doesn't vary (not pump side).

For the G3 seen something like the water level be about 10-12" up the body of the skimmer, imagine similiar for G2.

For adjustment you raise or lower the pipe so the bubbles are midway up the cup. As the unit starts to pull stuff out of the water the bubbles will start to rise higher up the cup. If skimmate too light, lower the pipe a slight bit (1/4"). Not getting skimmate raise it, again found sensitive so small adjustments.

Don't be surprised if the unit takes a day of two to start producing.

fishguyxd
01-13-2007, 12:54 AM
thanks for your info.
I also went to asm site.

vanreefer
01-13-2007, 01:35 AM
To cut down on the time it takes to break it in as well as get all the oils etc out of the skimmer body/pump fill your bath tub or rubermaid tub with warm fresh water and let it run in ther for 12-24 hours the fire it in the sump... I seem to remember 10" of water was recomended for my G4X

I love my skimmer... all I have done is the gate valve mod,... super easy and improved the performance IMHO

Enjoy
Dan

Reefhawk1
01-13-2007, 01:38 AM
Have a G3 skimmer myself and it works awesome. I need to install the mod still but the performance out of the box is great.

fishguyxd
01-14-2007, 02:48 AM
Ok have the G2 in sump doing it's thing ,followed instruction from the asm web site water colum is about 1 inch below collection cup. and the riser tube is as high as it can go, the whole skimmer unit is in 10 inchs of water.

#1 So Does the skim or foam rise or bubbles float/flow over into the collection cup or does the water push it over ??

#2 what does the adjustable part on the pump that the venturi is connected to do?? on the pump (it turns left & right, does it adjust flow?)

thanks for the input still trying to figure it out.

fishguyxd
01-14-2007, 02:53 AM
Tonight I have about 1/4 inch of stuff in cup ,but it is quite liquidy skimmate Is it suppose to be dryer? these are the results after only a few hours ,sorry no pics yet.

hqgc
01-14-2007, 04:37 PM
I've had my G2 for about three months now. It is in about 8 inches of water and seems to be working fine. I have mine set so the water level is about a third of the way up into the collection cup. The adjustable part you are talking about is just the elbow so you can move your pump where you want.
I have been trying to do the gate valve mod but have had no luck finding a gate valve (Edmonton).
There is an excellent asm skimmer faq of RC but I can't seem to find the link.....

mark
01-14-2007, 05:28 PM
If I remove the cup then put it back on, the bubbles are maybe a 1"+ from the top, after a bit, they'll rise higher. Though a little foam will overflow into the cup, seems skimmate is produced by bubbles hitting the lid, breaking and falling into the cup.

The skimmate will be liquid with solids suspended, but don't expect a syrup or tar. From mine the colour varies but it's like a dark green to brown really, really cloudy soup.

I take mine out and give the whole thing a good cleaning every few months. For the first few days after, the skimmate will be lighter and clearer before settling in.

As for adjustment, on the G3 there's none other than the riser.

vanreefer
01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Its still breaking in... the bathtub thing cuts down the break in time but it still takes a couple of days to get dailed in.... You should have the riser tube about level with the bottom of the collection cup

Tonight I have about 1/4 inch of stuff in cup ,but it is quite liquidy skimmate Is it suppose to be dryer? these are the results after only a few hours ,sorry no pics yet.

mark
01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
RC asm club link http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=426125&perpage=25&pagenumber=1 (seems couple of hundred pages)

fishguyxd
01-15-2007, 12:07 AM
this link shows the part the rear part not the venturi

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
Shortcut to: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=426125&perpage=25&pagenumber=50

mark
01-15-2007, 12:54 AM
The picture shows two parts, the venturi and pump impeller cover (which you rotate to remove).

fishguyxd
01-16-2007, 10:15 AM
thanks
I thought it did something else other than getteing access to the impeller/