PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang Question

krisalexander
01-11-2007, 11:57 PM
My yellow tang is developing a white eye? Is this a bad thing a disease? is there anything i can do? Any help is needed, let me know if a picture would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kris

Scavenger
01-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Could be decease or an injury. In either case, I'd get a good photo posted here if possible. If someone can tell for sure it would lead to the appropriate treatment. You might also want to set up a hospital tank incase you must medicate.

krisalexander
01-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Well a picture is too hard to get close enough to make it viewable.. It looks like a bubble over its eye and a white tint over the bubble..I will continue to try to get a good picture. It has just developed in the last two days..Thanks

Kris

Scavenger
01-12-2007, 02:31 AM
Well a picture is too hard to get close enough to make it viewable.. It looks like a bubble over its eye and a white tint over the bubble..I will continue to try to get a good picture. It has just developed in the last two days..Thanks

Kris

I wish I could tell you exactly what you have to deal with. But would be guessing. If you determine it's an irritated or infected wound, I've had success in the past with erythromycin pills ground into powder and mixed into the hospital tank water for eye and fin infected wounds in the past. For decease, you'd have to determine what it is. By your description, I'd say its not a fungus but could be wrong.

krisalexander
01-12-2007, 02:37 AM
I know it is not a wound, there are no other fish in the tank that attack each other. So i dont know. Again I will try to catch a picture..

Kris

Neil
01-12-2007, 02:53 AM
I know it is not a wound, there are no other fish in the tank that attack each other. So i dont know. Again I will try to catch a picture..

Kris
he could have easily enough grazed some rock when he was spooked or something

Richard_Dicosimo
01-12-2007, 03:48 PM
sounds like pop eye to me.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/eyes.html

Richard

Richard_Dicosimo
01-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Popeye, also known as exophthalmos or exophthalmia, is more a condition than it is a disease. In saltwater fish it may affect one or both eyes, appearing as if the eye has air or fluid trapped inside, around or behind it, causing the eye to enlarge and bulge out of its socket, as if under pressure. Duration of this condition can be anywhere from several days to several weeks.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa053001.htm

Richard

christyf5
01-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Is it still eating? Try to put as much food into it as you can, soaking the food in selcon or some type of vitamin supplement.

krisalexander
01-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks Richard that site is very helpful, I think your diagnosis is right...He is still eating christy eats lots what should i soke the food in i put some in garlic twice a week. Thanks for your help.
Also is it fatal?

Kris

Richard_Dicosimo
01-12-2007, 06:04 PM
i don't have alot of experience with pop eye, just what i see in the fish stores. I always thought pop eye meant the fish had been cyanide caught? and being that the fish is obviously not healthy i have never bought a fish with pop eye so i don't know, but i thought pop eye usually meant death was probably coming soon. but theres always a chance the fish can get better.

Richard

Diana
01-12-2007, 06:12 PM
It still might not be pop eye, an injury can also cause those symptoms. Its hard to say without a pic, but if its an injury there's nothing much you can do other than to let it heal. Keep him healthy by feeding him good foods and yes soaking the food in Selcon and/or Zoe will help boost his immune system.

Richard_Dicosimo
01-12-2007, 06:15 PM
i dont think he knows what selcon is or possably zeo, to be honest im not even sure what selcon is. i always assumed it was a liquid that you could add to the food to enrich it. where do you buy selcon? i thought selcon was more for if your raising brine shrimp to make them more worthwhile to feed to your fish?

Richard

christyf5
01-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Selcon is a mixture of essential fatty acids and some vitamins thrown in for good measure. It is often used to "coat" adult brine shrimp (they ingest it as well) as a way of getting more nutrition into fish as adult brine shrimp aren't very nutritious on their own (kind of like popcorn versus a granola bar). If you coat the food you are feeding to fish, with selcon, it is a good way of helping to boost their immune system in order to fight off any infection they might have as well as promote faster healing.

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/46/Selcon-Concentrate/

Kent Zoe works much the same way although it doesn't contain the fatty acids.

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/944/Kent-Zoe-Marine-4oz/