PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm Ok so it's FW but I think my next reef tank will be like this

Delphinus
01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
(... or maybe not.) :lol:

This is hilarious, check this out:
http://knuttz.net/hosted_pages/Home-Aquarium-20061031

Dyspnea
01-11-2007, 05:43 PM
awesome

I always thought a aquarium tunnel system would be cool to have. I'd be paranoid with that falling on my head all the time thought :p

Tarolisol
01-11-2007, 05:44 PM
So why doesnt the water rush out of tubes into the tanks?

Joe Reefer
01-11-2007, 05:50 PM
How does it work?

jws444
01-11-2007, 05:56 PM
No air can get into the tube to replace any of the water volume that would rush out, so it acts like a vacuum and holds the water up. If you drill an air hole anywhere in the tube, the water will all come rushing down.

Delphinus
01-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I have no idea. I think it was on Fark or /. or reddit or one of those places.

http://blog.wired.com/tableofmalcontents/2007/01/build_a_better_.html

I just thought it was hilarious someone would do that. I don't think it's a very viable thing to do and I don't think it improves the quality of life of the fish like the guy says, but if it's for real then it's just an interesting technical challenge.

If I build one of these tubes from my basement up to my living room, I don't really think I'd see my tang come up to tell me it's feeding time. :lol:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Very cool idea, but I'd also be scared that something would happen to release all the water.

Thanks for posting:biggrin:

Midknight
01-11-2007, 09:55 PM
I think this tank would be easier to do. :wink:

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070110/ids_photos_ts/ra3407782424.jpg

danny zubot
01-11-2007, 10:17 PM
I just thought it was hilarious someone would do that. I don't think it's a very viable thing to do and I don't think it improves the quality of life of the fish like the guy says, but if it's for real then it's just an interesting technical challenge.

It would be super cool and benificial for an octopus tank.:biggrin:

Der_Iron_Chef
01-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Heh! Yeah, I saw this on RC a few days ago. Nuts.

Funky_Fish14
01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I wouldnt think there would be much if any waterflow through something like that, thus you'd have a hard time changing the water in there. I mean I understand the fish swim through it but they wouldnt displace enough water to get the nutrients out. Fish can poop up in there too. Also, a waterchange would prove difficult because you cant go beyond the bottom of the tube, haha.

Definetly a cool technical challenge nontheless!

Chris

Coldwater
01-11-2007, 11:07 PM
What happens when one of them die in a tube? Get a massive bending poker stick and poke it out?

Matt

BMW Rider
01-12-2007, 12:43 AM
That's insane. Talk about flood potential, I can soak my carpet easily enough as it is.

AndyL
01-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Dead things? plumbers snake or creative use of a mag float...

I've seen a few of these over the years pop up on various boards... Generally they've got some water flow through (bigger powerheads mounted to push/pull water through, you can spy it in a few of the pictures - but you also need a run of plumbing between the tanks (keeps the levels equal in each)

I think the biggest technical challenge has to be initial priming - and regular draining of air - obviously that coffee shop one has been neglected...

I'd imagine one would add another hole to take excess water in case of a dump to a drain... (simple hole drilled at top of tank)

danny zubot
01-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Here's my dream desk job, if there ever was such a thing.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/508/untitled1.bmp

Midknight
01-12-2007, 09:27 PM
That is WAY COOL! :crazyeye:
I wonder what company that is. My boss had a fit when I told him I wanted a nano on my desk.

AndyL
01-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Y'know I've seen that image dozens of times, and I may have posted it once myself...

Now it could just be the massive headache i've got going at the moment - but is it just me - or does the distortion of items behind the dividing tank seem off? I'm thinking photoshop suddenly.