PDA

View Full Version : the best clean up mix

justinl
01-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Alright the title is pretty self-explanatory. What do you guys think is the best mix in terms of hermits, snails, cucumbers, stars, whatever for a clean up crew? I would like a mix that would PREVENT blooms of algae/diatoms/slime from becoming a problem. remember people: action, instead of reaction.

muck
01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
What you are keeping in your FOWLR tank? Will help us make recommendations.

howdy20012002
01-11-2007, 05:05 PM
the size of your tank would be helpful as well

Scavenger
01-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Another factor would be getting a cleanup crew for algaes and nasties exsiting in your tank. If you get a critter for a problem you don't have, it might just starve.

justinl
01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
The tank is a 60 gal acrylic with 2 inches of oolitic sand. 20 lbs live rock (Ill add more when I can afford it). Has a mantis shrimp and a couple of damsels. Ill add more fish in the future too.

howdy20012002
01-11-2007, 05:12 PM
well, the mantis shrimp pretty much rules out any cleaning crew at all.
the shrimp will appreciate lunch...an expensive one at that of pretty much anything that you put in there.
You may want to rethink having it in the tank..or be prepared to have algae.
this is my opinion and experience at least.
HTH
Neal

justinl
01-11-2007, 05:33 PM
hahaha I know very well that the mantis will likely make a good meal of the crew but disregarding that factor...

although now you mention it, shrimp would definitely be too easy for a mantis so scratch them from the list. I would also prefer thicker shelled crustaceans too but I won't be too picky either.

Funky_Fish14
01-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Judging by the comment of "shrimp would definetly be too easy for a mantis so scratch them from the list. I would also prefer thicker shelled crustaceans too but I won't be too picky either.", I assume you are going to be keeping the mantis in that tank?

With it in the tank, its probably going to kill anything it can, including your damsels and any other fish it can catch. Even thicker shelled snails or hermit crabs will get eaten if it wants, if the mantis is too small to crack the shell, then its likely small enough to enter it when the critter 'retracts'.

Your bioload and fish will also affect what you can/cant keep in the tank for cleanup crew. If you have a bunch of tanks, I'd have a very minimal cleanup crew as the main cause of death in captivity for hermit crabs at least is starvation, and I am sure the same would go for snails (minus being easier food targets, even for hermits). If you plan to put a trigger in there, alot of cleanup crew is out of the question as well. More or less rock will also have an effect on how efficiently the waste from the cleanup crew can be processed, and whether or not there is enough area for food for them in the tank. The goal of a cleanup crew is not to 'get rid of the algae', or 'eat the leftover food', but to break the nutrients(algae, leftover foods, etc..) into a form that is more easily manageable by the bacteria in the system. This also requires those nutrients to be taken out of the system via filtration (skimmer, etc..) and/or frequent water changes.

A list of planned fish + live rock amount, as well as more specs such as filtration will help us to help you :) .

Chris