PDA

View Full Version : Recommended reading?

andsoitgoes
01-09-2007, 03:14 AM
I know that there may be a post in this, but I've spent about 20 minutes and, knowing me, there's probably just a keyword I'm not using that would solve the problem...

Anyway, I'm looking for info on what some good books and authors are - I really want to get "into" this - it's not like standard freshwater tanks for me, this is something that's so much more, and I really want to go all out in my knowledge.

I've had a few good friends recommend some books, but without it down on electron-charged paper, I forget :redface:

Maybe a sticky can be added somewhere, or maybe a book reviews section? I know personally my focuses would be on the basics and a tad bit into things like setting up sumps, the premise behind stuff like that, etc.

And then going as far as propogation of corals and fish, and the chemistry side of things. I know there's a ton of books out there, but I made the mistake of buying one randomly and I wasted a good $20 on it.

Thanks in advance all!

Nick

AndyL
01-09-2007, 03:17 AM
More than 20$ but anthony calfo's book of coral propagation should be near the top of that list... not really a basics book - but definitely worth reading after your first tank is setup - and before your first upgrade ;)

wetcoast
01-09-2007, 03:18 AM
I really found that things opened up a bit more for me after reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Coral-Propagation-Gardening-Aquarists/dp/0971637105?tag2=gp04-20

Or maybe it sticks out in my mind as it was the last Aquarium related book I read...

andsoitgoes
01-09-2007, 04:02 AM
Wow, that's 3 recommendations for the same book (another member mentioned it when I was asking about it)

Just need to find it for a reasonable price, now! Anyone got a used one to sell? ;)

J&L recommended "Natural Reef Aquariums" - anyone have experience with that book?

wetcoast
01-09-2007, 04:36 AM
There are lots of places you can find Calfo's book - all are about the same price. It is worth it. There have been some other good books I have read by Julian Sprung, Ronald Schimek, and Bob Fenner. Look those names up on Amazon and you should be in a good place. And share the ones you have read afterwords in this thread so that others can do the same! - Regards-Dave

Delphinus
01-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Kind of pricey but "The Reef Aquarium" by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek, volumes I, II and now III are really the bible of reefing.

Fossa and Nilsen also have a similar series, from a European perspective, said to be very good as well, but I haven't read those myself. There is said to be a lot of overlap between this and the TRA volumes.

Clownfishes, by Joyce Wilkerson

Anemonefish And Their Host Sea Anemones, Daphne Fautin and Gerald Allen
(This is the bible of host sea anemone identification, plus anemonefish identification and geographic ranges. Not a whole lot of relevant info for captive care, however, because the authors do not (or did not at the time of writing), approve for the practise of captive anemone keeping. Nevertheless these two are the worlds foremost authorities on the subject so it is worthwhile having, if your into anemones or anemonefish. For captive care, including breeding of clownfish, the Wilkerson book is a better bet. Ultimately, you'll have to have both if this topic interests you.)

Clams by Daniel Knop

Clams by James Fatheree

Knop is/was the authority on tridacnids for the longest time. His book however is slightly dated (yet the info is still relevant), plus it is translated into English from German. The Fatheree book just came out a few months ago so is very flashy and new. Both books are worth having IMO, if clams interest you.

Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman.

Fish books - pretty much anything by Rudie Kuiter is going to be an amazing reference. Also look for Scott Michael. There are too many titles to list but look for these authors.

There are, of course, so many others. Too many to list at once! These above ones are my favourites but I bet I'm overlooking a few too. My best advice is look to the serious reef oriented vendors such as J&L, Ocean Aquatics, and see what books they sell.

For a starter reference though, look to the TRA volumes (first one I mentioned). Can't go wrong with those.

Chaotic Cricket
01-09-2007, 05:54 AM
There are lots of places you can find Calfo's book - all are about the same price. It is worth it. There have been some other good books I have read by Julian Sprung, Ronald Schimek, and Bob Fenner. Look those names up on Amazon and you should be in a good place. And share the ones you have read afterwords in this thread so that others can do the same! - Regards-Dave

Yes amazon.ca is a good place to find them, quite often you can find used copies there as well. I picked all of mine up used then after reading most were ut back there for someone else. Aside from a few I kept, which are at the bottom of a pile of things in a mini-storage unfortunatley.

fishface
01-09-2007, 09:48 AM
J&L recommended "Natural Reef Aquariums" - anyone have experience with that book?i've got this one and would recommend it for sure.

andsoitgoes
01-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I was really hoping to find some used, I don't need fancy (I would like a newer edition, though - such as Calfo's Coral Propagation, which has lots of illustrations)

Shame these aren't more prevalent on the internet book sites (used to be into the used book market, and it's dry as a bone for this stuff, sigh)

Snappy
01-09-2007, 09:24 PM
I agree with the Amazon scenario. This is what I did for my own library and would recommend it as a great source to find what you want at a lower price. Delivery is usually within a week.

andsoitgoes
01-09-2007, 09:27 PM
All those books mentioned above can be purchased through Amazon for much cheaper than the retail stores. This is what I did for my own library and would recommend it as a great source to find what you want at a lower price. Delivery is usually within a week.

That's what I'm hoping to do - Natural Reefs is pretty darn cheap at amazon, but stuff like Coral Propagation still run fairly close to retail and for that one it takes about 4 - 6 weeks to order it in.

I might just start out with Natural Reef and go from there, seems a good beginners book - I had seen some discussion regarding a previous book the author did that had a lot more information, I dont' remember the title but I'm going to try and hunt it down.

Delphinus
01-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I've had mixed results with Amazon. Sometimes 4 to 6 weeks can be more like 4 to 6 months, I guess it depends on how hard it is find a stash of the needed books. So if you're patient go for it, but if you're impatient (like me sometimes :) ) then ordering it from the aquaria vendors is a sure bet because they'll likely have a stockpile.

Also with some of the newer titles, like Fatheree's clam book, you can pretty much ONLY get at the aquaria vendors. Well maybe it's better by now since it's been out a few months but for a while there it was only those vendors who went to MACNA and picked them up there that had it .. places like Amazon and Indigo didn't even recognise the title when I was looking for it.

I had the *hardest* time getting the Kuiter Wrasse book last year. I ended up buying it from the U.S. Now there seems to be more places you can buy it (ie. I see it on J&L's site NOW). Basically, sometimes it can be a wild goose chase if you're looking for a title that's not in the mainstream. I guess it's all part of the fun. ;)

andsoitgoes
01-09-2007, 10:01 PM
LOL - yeah, I felt that way when I was ordering books (mostly obscure comics, way back) - and it was enjoyable to a degree, but this stuff seems pretty cut and dry - either you gets it, or you don't.

Seems like starting with Natural Reef is a good launch pad, and I'll branch out from there and just keep my eyes open! :)

kwirky
01-10-2007, 07:40 PM
I've found for general tank setup and such, the internet is great. www.advancedaquarist.com is great for learning about gear and the obscure species here n there. The latest findings are usually found on there if you're looking for "up-to-datedness". I've sat for hours just perusing through that site.

As for books, I like my two PocketExpert Guides.

Marine Invertibrates, by Ronald L Shimek Ph.D.
Marine Fishes, by Scott W. Michael

Both are good books for beginning research that don't break the bank ($22 each on chapters.ca/amazon.ca) Their small size makes them great to take to the LFS, too if you're doing a "nono" and making an impulsive purchase ;)

I'm a bookworm, too, but I've found it's hard to find good books for marine aquariums that aren't out of date. Not saying they don't exist, just saying you have to do your research before you can do your research lol.

Take Elegance Coral for instance: Most of the specimins being collected nowadays don't last long in captivity, yet many of the books say they're hardy. Research found online suggests it's because of parasites they catch while kept in holding tanks with the huge assortment of corals now being kept by distributers. I had one die on me because I read in two books they're hardy (Shimek did say they're not as hardy as they used to be in his pocketexpert book, though). Up to date information is generally easier to find online than in a book. Be sure to cross-reference what you read on paper with some information online, and vice versa if possible :)

But either way, I have fun reading about the hobby, in any form I can get my information, and I'm sure you will too :) Damn this hobby is expensive! lol