PDA

View Full Version : Remra HOB skimmer and micro bubbles

tknude
01-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Anyone have experience with an Aqua C Remora protien skimmer? I have had it running for 3 weeks now and it is still producing lots of micro bubbles. Any experience with the preskimmer box that you can get for this skimmer? I have herd from some that it does not make a difference. Any input is welcomed.

Thanks,

Ted.

OCDP
01-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Anyone have experience with an Aqua C Remora protien skimmer? I have had it running for 3 weeks now and it is still producing lots of micro bubbles. Any experience with the preskimmer box that you can get for this skimmer? I have herd from some that it does not make a difference. Any input is welcomed.

Thanks,

Ted.

I've been using a Remora for a while and yeah, the microbubbles seem to be a common occurrance. I find that rinsing anything off in warm water contributes to micro bubbles, so rinse the cup and so on in colder water.... other than that, I have no other suggestions. If your using tap water, it is said that various types of tap water conditioner contribute to microbubbles as well, I don't know if it's true or not. I use PRIME.

No experience with the preskmimer box...

David
01-08-2007, 07:31 PM
I eliminated the micro bubbles with a $2 home made bubbles trap.

OCDP
01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
I eliminated the micro bubbles with a $2 home made bubbles trap.

Please continue...... :idea:

tknude
01-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Yes, please describe. Is this a DIY and if so could you explain... picture perhaps?

Ted.

David
01-08-2007, 08:27 PM
1. small container and suckers from Dollars Store
2. cut or drill holes at the bottom of the container. Holes shouldn’t be too big or the filter media will fall off the bottom due to the weight of the water
3. drill 3 holes at the side of the container for the suckers
4. cut a piece of fine filter media and put it in the container
5. mount it just below the water exit of the skimmer

Filter media: http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/cleaning.php?product_ID=cl-fmedia

BTW: How do you guys cut and paste picture onto the post ?

fkshiu
01-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Another option (for the even lazier) is get a piece of filter foam a little wider than the outflow lip. Cut a slit down the middle of the foam and slip it over the lip.

Presto! No more bubbles.

I use bulk black foam so it's less noticeable. I rotate 3 pieces every half week or so to prevent nitrate buildup.

tknude
01-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Sweet, thanks guys. I will give the foam trick a try!

Ted.